Adding an external speaker jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an external speaker jack

Hi all, Thanks in advance to everyone who posts hear Ive always gained alot of knowledge reading here. Now to the question. I am going to add an external speaker jack to my champ 12 ..Ive read somewhere that you can simply add a 1/4" mono jack with a switch to the wires going to the internal speaker which then go on to the internal speaker after being soldered to the jack. My only confusion is getting the right kind of jack. Ive seen mono jacks with a tip shunt and mono jacks with a switch. It should have three lugs tip, ground, and switch. This is all done so when I plug an extension cab into the jack it will drive the cab and not the internal speaker. Thanks Val

Originally posted by vmazz View Post
    ..Ive read somewhere that you can simply add a 1/4" mono jack with a switch to the wires going to the internal speaker which then go on to the internal speaker after being soldered to the jack. My only confusion is getting the right kind of jack. Ive seen mono jacks with a tip shunt and mono jacks with a switch. It should have three lugs tip, ground, and switch. This is all done so when I plug an extension cab into the jack it will drive the cab and not the internal speaker. Thanks Val
    All you need is a 1/4" jack that has a N.C. (normally closed) contact on the tip connector.

Run the wire that comes from the output transformer to the tip connection. Run a wire from the N.C. contact to the internal speaker. This way when nothing is plugged into the jack, the output is sent through the N.C. contact to the internal speaker. When you plug a speaker into the jack, it disconnects the internal speaker from the circuit.

Comment

Thanks 52 Bill, I thinks I get it now( different terms from different sources confuses us rookies) now just waiting for the jack I ordered and Ill wire it up . Everyone here is fantastic a great resource.
      Thanks Val

Comment

Working...
      X