Mojo 5-40 Pole Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojo 5-40 Pole Screws

A few weeks ago, I asked Dave at Mojo if he would consider supplying 5-40 pole screws for Buckers/P-90s along with the standard WSC metric screws. To my pleasant surprise, within two or three weeks he contacted me and directed me to the Mojo web page with the new screws. I order several sets to inspect, and they're very good quality - much better than some of the recent fare we've seen. Then heads have a nice appearance and a good cylindrical shape. The only thing I'd change about them is to have the heads a little larger in diameter, but that's only because I tend to use WSC bobbins. The heads on these are about 4.9mm, which is just fine for StewMac and Montreux bobbins I think, but the WSC bobbins (Guitar Jones type) have the larger diameter hole which is filled a little better with a 5.0-5.2mm head. I'm running out of my 5.1-5.2mm stock, so I've been looking for a replacement. Nonetheless, these are very good looking screws.

Anyway, kudos to Dave/Mojo for going the extra mile to supply these. Might be nice if folks considered supporting them with they're next pole screw purchase to make it worth his while. Anyone that's been around for awhile knows what a drag it can be to nail down a consistent supply of well made 5-40 filisters. Here's a link:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/ite...200&id=2115526

At present, gold plated 5-40 are cost prohibitive but maybe Mojo can work something out there down the road. Who knows, maybe we can talk them into a US supply of vintage spec bobbins?!

Yes but what are they made of? A screw isn't a screw. 1022, 1018, what?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyWire View Post
      Then heads have a nice appearance and a good cylindrical shape. The only thing I'd change about them is to have the heads a little larger in diameter, but that's only because I tend to use WSC bobbins. The heads on these are about 4.9mm, which is just fine for StewMac and Montreux bobbins I think, but the WSC bobbins (Guitar Jones type) have the larger diameter hole which is filled a little better with a 5.0-5.2mm head. I'm running out of my 5.1-5.2mm stock, so I've been looking for a replacement. Nonetheless, these are very good looking screws.
      Getting screws is a royal PITA...ask possum....Generally, a screw design can fall within certain toloraces, that is why many have different size heads. Depending on the manufacturer one may have a die that makes a bigger head, and another manufactuer may have a die that produces a smaller head....both would fall within acceptable tolorances for that particular screw design...and there is really nothing that they can do about it but to make a die with specific measurements. From what i've seen, I believe that when they make a die, most fastener manufacturers stay in the middle of tolarance range set for that particular screw.

Mechanical drawings specify the measurments for each part of the screw and generally include a chart that specifies the acceptable tolerance ranges for each part.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
        Getting screws is a royal PITA...ask possum....Generally, a screw design can fall within certain toloraces, that is why many have different size heads. Depending on the manufacturer one may have a die that makes a bigger head, and another manufactuer may have a die that produces a smaller head....both would fall within acceptable tolorances for that particular screw design...and there is really nothing that they can do about it but to make a die with specific measurements. From what i've seen, I believe that when they make a die, most fastener manufacturers stay in the middle of tolerance range set for that particular screw.
        I bet they make the dies small, and let them wear bigger, discarding the die when tolerance is exceeded, many screws later.

Comment

MoJo Screw

Fact- They are indeed 1022

Comment

Wow. Just amazing. Anyway, I thought it was pretty decent of Dave/Mojo.
            Last edited by SkinnyWire; 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              I bet they make the dies small, and let them wear bigger, discarding the die when tolerance is exceeded, many screws later.
              and the other half of the headache is finding a screw manufacturer that doesn't have these worn out dies that also leave marks on the head.

....as well as the device that they use to cut the slot in the head...many times it is worn out and it leaves each side of the slot with jagged edges on top of the head.
              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                and the other half of the headache is finding a screw manufacturer that doesn't have these worn out dies that also leave marks on the head.
                Yep.

....as well as the device that they use to cut the slot in the head...many times it is worn out and it leaves each side of the slot with jagged edges on top of the head.
                Yep. The device is a slotting saw.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...0SAWS#NOANCHOR

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                  ...Yep. The device is a slotting saw...
                  Or more correctly, a dull slotting saw!.
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Good Lord. The whole point WAS that given the well known challenges in nailing down consistent supplies of quality pole screws this appeared to be good news. Other than that, this is a potential source that might be considered and as of yet the slotting saws and dies appear to be just fine from whence these came. Maybe you can ask them about different materials. That said, If you can't make a good pickup with 1022 then quite frankly you need to go back to the drawing board. Seriously.

Comment

Or just get rid of the stupid slot head fillister screws! Why are we still using this junk from the 50's anyway? If I never saw another slot head screw in my life that would be fine by me!

Time to stop being slaves to these old designs.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Or just get rid of the stupid slot head fillister screws! Why are we still using this junk from the 50's anyway? If I never saw another slot head screw in my life that would be fine by me!

Time to stop being slaves to these old designs.
                        Aye, here, here!
                        (w/sounds of beer tankards clanking on the Bar)
                        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

And I said that knowing full well that guitar players are stuck-in-the-mud in general when it comes to change, but I'm just so sick of having to conform to so-called standards that were really proprietary designs made back when they though the earth was flat and the sun rotated around.. well OK, I'm exaggerating.

For instance... Jazz Bass pickups... blech!
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyWire View Post
                            Good Lord. The whole point WAS that given the well known challenges in nailing down consistent supplies of quality pole screws this appeared to be good news. Other than that, this is a potential source that might be considered and as of yet the slotting saws and dies appear to be just fine from whence these came. Maybe you can ask them about different materials. That said, If you can't make a good pickup with 1022 then quite frankly you need to go back to the drawing board. Seriously.
                            They are really nice screws- 5-40 thread-- Has a hard radious head. I think most of us here use 1022 in something ; ) I know I do in certain models.
                            I think the most desired aspect would be getting as Longer headcap. From the bottom of the crown to the bottom of the screwcap. More material loads the Coil differently...As you stated, Nice looking screw though...

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                              They are really nice screws- 5-40 thread
                              Hey Wade, where those the screws you sent me? They really are nice. They'd be nicer if they were phillips head...

I replaced the Stew-Mac screws with those on one of my pickups. They seem to be more magnetic as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X