Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

peavey classic 50 won't turn on, burnt cap.. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey classic 50 won't turn on, burnt cap.. help!

hi..

my peavey classic 50 2x12 , which has been well maintained and cared for since i purchased it 8 months ago (I'm the second owner), recently began losing power (as in, the amp turned itself off) randomly during use. At first, if I simply flipped the power switch back and forth (the switch remained in the ON position when the amp cut out), everything would return to normal for the rest of a session (maybe an hour or two?). Now, I can barely get the thing to turn on, much less remain on for more than ten or fifteen seconds. I opened up the back panel and browsed for obviously damaged components; nothing was immediately apparent until I tried flipping the power switch a few times with the panel off and noticed an ugly white spark on the little tiny PCB that is riveted to the chassis through which all the power connections seem to pass.

Closer observation revealed a burn mark on the solder point through which one leg of a small black ceramic capacitor passes. the cap straddles two points on the board; the wires in contact with these points are a twisted pair with black insulation that trace back to the power switch. The cap looks a little weird; there are some small cracks in it where the wire legs branch out from the ceramic disc.

I'm assuming this cap has blown somehow, but I don't know its value and the little board it's soldered to is permanently attached to the amp chassis. I'm also wary of trying to just swap in a new cap cos I'm not sure if some other electrical problem is the likely culprit..

Any suggestions? I'm pretty new to fiddling with high voltage stuff, so I want to be very sure of myself before I attempt any kind of repair..

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance ya'll can provide..
    take care
    bryan

Originally posted by rasdestroyer View Post
    Closer observation revealed a burn mark on the solder point through which one leg of a small black ceramic capacitor passes. the cap straddles two points on the board; the wires in contact with these points are a twisted pair with black insulation that trace back to the power switch. The cap looks a little weird; there are some small cracks in it where the wire legs branch out from the ceramic disc.
    Bryan, welcome to the board.

What you are describing sounds like a surge protector not a cap. They look very similar, but as you noted they often are black in color. It also sounds like it has broken loose at one of its solder connections, and has been arcing when making and breaking connection, causing black carbon burn marks on the board.

If you want to try and fix this, unplug the amp and clean off as much of the blackened area of the solder joint that you can, using a stiff brush or maybe the wire brush attachment on a Dremel tool. Then carefully resolder the connection between the board and the leg of the part.

Comment

52 bill:

thanks for the welcome and your advice.. good to know the diff between caps and surge protectors (shows how much knowledge I have coming into this!) .. i'll try the procedure you suggested this evening and report back..

i really appreciate your help!
      take care
      bryan

Comment

fixed! (?)

had some time when i got home from work and decided to go ahead and resolder the surge protector (after sanding away the burned board -- there wasn't nearly as much as thought).. everything seems to be working fine now! played for nearly an hour with no power hiccups.. my solder joint seems to be solid and holding fast..

thanks again 52 bill.. you really saved me on this one..!

Comment

Working...
        X