Suggest an amp to build from....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest an amp to build from....

This chassis was scavenged from a late 50s record changer console. Comes with the PT, couple 5y3, four 6v6, a 12at7a (? think but would have to double check), choke, PP OT, etc. Anyway it's going to take some work to replace caps etc for an audio amp and I really don't have a great need for a mono audio amp so want to see if it would be a good doner candidate for a tweed era guitar amp?

I've build a 5F1 (who hasn't) and looking for another classic circuit with good sound.

Couple pics of the doner chassis and its schematic follow.

Cheers!
    Attached Files

I don't have to use all these parts. I could pick up a few tubes and go with 2 of the 6v6s for a 5E3 like narrow pannel deluxish build?

Comment

you could even build a 5E3x2 with 2 x 5Y3GT rectifiers - then you could use the PT and OT as well. You will need a 12AY7 for V1 tho' Looks like there's just about everything else you need except for some extra input sockets, pots and tone stack stuff and maybe some different coupling caps. I'd probably put new filter caps in (and take out C1 and C2)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        you could even build a 5E3x2 with 2 x 5Y3GT rectifiers - then you could use the PT and OT as well.
        Thanks tubeswell. I looked at that and thought geeze that's going to be too loud for my needs. I'm not gigging -- just piddling around in the living room or basement. The 5E3 is probably overkill as well come to think about it. Maybe go with a VVR for some flexibility there. But I do like the idea of using most of what's here. I have some spare PT and another P-P OT around so maybe build two 5E3 and give one to a nephew.

Thanks again.

Comment

Given that with the 4 6v6s you'll need to go into 2 ohms. Only using two tubes will allow you to use a more convenient four ohm cab. That's quite a lot of iron for a pair of 6v6s though.

I have one of these that I fixed up to be a respectable guitar power amp. It is indeed quite loud for 25 or so watts, and could definitely hold it's own in a live jam situation.

I use mine with an output preamp since the the amp is just the power amp from the driver/PI and beyond. You'd probably have to add a twin triode if you wanted it to be a stand-alone guitar amp.

Comment

Working...
          X