Ampeg Reverberocket = 7591As to 6L6s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Reverberocket = 7591As to 6L6s

Has anyone ever converted their Ampeg Reverberocket from 7591A power tubes to 6L6s (no not 6V6s)?

If yes what did you have to change and which 6L6s did you go with?

Just in case... you do know they are making 7591 these days?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The current run of 7591A's suck. To me, they sound and look like rebottled 6L6's. Any amp I have tried them in sounds like hell compared to the real thing, or even 6V6's. They don't have the same breakup threshold as the originals.

Most 7591A designs will complement 6V6's, e.g. Ampeg, Premier. It really is just a matter of rewiring the sockets. At that point though, you can plug in 6L6's if you'd like too, so rewire the sockets and give both a try, or spring for the princely bucks for a pair of NOS 7591A's.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Well, since he wants to use 6L6 anyway, a repackaged one that plugs right into the socket sounds ideal.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My 2cents,
          I have used both the electro-harmonix "7591A" and the JJ 7591.
          IMHO I think you should try the JJ in your amp rather than modify for 6L6.
          Cheers,
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Well, since he wants to use 6L6 anyway, a repackaged one that plugs right into the socket sounds ideal.
            That is one good way of looking at it,but if you re-wire it for 6L6's you can use different brands,types of 6L6's instead of being stuck with one type of Russian 6L6 in the 7591 bottle.I've done it to a few Gemini's,it is fairly simple and with the right 6L6 it sounds very good.

Comment

Just in case... you do know they are making 7591 these days?
              Thanks for responding Enzo. Yes I know they are available but the 7591A is an odd pin configuration whereas the 6L6 pin configuration is shared by more than one tube allowing for more experimentation.

I know some people converted back to 6V6s before current production 7591As arrived but I was wondering if any of them converted to 6L6s or even 5881s or even if the circuit would allow conversion to 6L6s or 5881s.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                The current run of 7591A's suck. To me, they sound and look like rebottled 6L6's. Any amp I have tried them in sounds like hell compared to the real thing, or even 6V6's. They don't have the same breakup threshold as the originals.

Most 7591A designs will complement 6V6's, e.g. Ampeg, Premier. It really is just a matter of rewiring the sockets. At that point though, you can plug in 6L6's if you'd like too, so rewire the sockets and give both a try, or spring for the princely bucks for a pair of NOS 7591A's.
                Thanks for your input.

NOS is a non starter for me.

6V6s sound neat to my ears especially in a Deluxe so I am considering them.

Comment

Good point if the circuit won't accomodate 6L6s or 5881s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                    My 2cents,
                    I have used both the electro-harmonix "7591A" and the JJ 7591.
                    IMHO I think you should try the JJ in your amp rather than modify for 6L6.
                    Cheers,
                    Tom
                    I have heard the same thing so JJs would likely be my choice. A friend has JJs in his amp and he is really impressed with them.

I am still at the research stage so I haven't ruled anything out yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X