Glue to use on overlapped tolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue to use on overlapped tolex?

I have a sorta unusual situation where i need to overlap tolex over itself. So what you have is the cloth backing on top of the outer slick black tolex. It overlaps only about a 1/4". I won't use rubber cement because i've had far too many instances of it coming loose in certain weather. I switched to white glue for tolex, but while it works great to attach tolex to wood, i tested it for this situation by trying to glue 2 rest pieces of tolex together back to top as in overlapping and it doesn't hold. Don't want to use super glue because i'm sure i'll get it on the showing area. So does anyone know what i can use for this that will hold? preferably something i can buy a small amount of because i only need to glue about a foot long by 1/4" area. So i don't want to have to buy a 10 dollar bottle of something i'll never use again.

How about trying some PVC cement (like for plumbing). It basically melts vinyl. Put that on & put some nice heavy weights on it to smoosh the backside of the tolex into the vinyl.

Never tried it. just a thought that occurred to me. It's cheap too.

Whatever you do, try to scuff up the tolex first & clean it with a solvent. Both will promote adhesion of anything you try.

Also, how about some shoe repair glue? (like Goop or something).

Comment

That sounds like a great idea, however i already bought something which runs along the lines of your "repair" idea. It's something i found at a hardware store today at lunch called VLP which is for "vinyl/leather repair". It also mentions fabric, so being the backing is cloth it should work perfectly. I just hop it can be wiped off without damage if you clean it right away because for what i'm doing i'm almost sure to get some on the outside area.

Comment

Super glue works too, although I've only used it on corners. Flexweld (trade name) that I use for all covering is good too.

Comment

Not for me it doesn't ! It'll stick just fine, but maybe i'm a klutz but i cannot use SG right next to anything that will be ruined by it because i will ruin it every time. That vinyl glue worked perfect and the bit that i did get on the outside area i was able to wipe off w/o damage.

Comment

I use a hot glue gun and wipe off the excess.

Comment

I've used that too, tho it still makes a bit of a mess. But again, this vinyl glue was the bomb. I do like hot glue for a lot of things tho and have used it in some situations with tolex.

Comment

The "industry standard" for tolex is contact cement (though some purists prefer hyde glue). Be aware that after you've applied it to BOTH surfaces, you have to wait for about 20-30 minutes, 'till it feels dry to touch, and THEN apply the surfaces to eachother.
                Mac/Amps
                "preserving the classics"
                Chicago, Il., USA
                (773) 283-1217
                (cell) (847) 772-2979
                Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
                www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                  I've used that too, tho it still makes a bit of a mess. But again, this vinyl glue was the bomb. I do like hot glue for a lot of things tho and have used it in some situations with tolex.
                  Contact cement is the way to go for large areas. For beat up small rips, tears, separations, and repairs hot glue is a fast an effective fix. That and a black felt tip marker for black tolex. Hot glue you can always remove or reset with a hot air gun. (hair drier on steroids)

Comment

I stopped using contact cement for several reasons including the fact the fumes are horrid. But i found that carpenter's glue and a staple gun to hold it tight while drying worked far easier and better results. But i posted this topic about a whole different issue. But as to large areas, IE the main job itself, i'll never go back to contact cement.

Comment

Daz,

I think you are thinking of rubber cement. Contact cement is often water based & has no fumes. It's the kind of stuff you use to attach a laminate to the top of a table. You apply it to both halves, they dry and when stuck together they never come apart again. It is a great suggestion and would probably work really well.

Rubber cement has awful fumes. Good call there.

Comment

The tolex glue from AES is rubber/water based, and works ok for me. I've used contact types too, and 3M77 for tweed with sucess. Masking required for the 3M stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X