Inexpensive faceplate building techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive faceplate building techniques

Hi, this is my first post. I looked for a bit through the forums, and didn't quite see a thread with the same information as this, so I thought I'd post it. If I'm wrong and all this is some sort of common knowledge, I apologize. I hope anybody with input on these methods could chime in.

My goal was to make a durable, inexpensive, faceplate (see attachment below) with the print quality of a fine mesh screen print without necessarily using an ink as a direct marking material, ideally being able to use some sort of print off from a laser or inkjet printer. I'd also like to know if there is a place that will do inexpensive laser engraving on an arbitrary piece of metal. Most places quoted me at least $25 for a ~2x24" faceplate.

These are the 2 (well, 3, sort of) different methods I'm most confident in, but haven't thoroughly tested.

Method 1:
    Probably the cheapest and easiest: Lexan/plexi faceplate.

I have seen some designs with paper behind plexiglass, but I of the opinion that paper isn't quite durable enough, especially if/when exposed to heat and time. I found a material called dura-lar, basically fairly thick polyester/mylar film, which is both laser and ink jet printable, and fairly inexpensive. I got a 25" x 40" sheet for $3 at a local arts and crafts store. I printed that faceplate design and it looks good, although it's sort of hard to find many printers that print arbitrary sizes of paper (like a 2x24" piece), so I had to print it in two pieces. A way around this is to try Kinko's or somewhere that prints in a wide format that will do that for you. Personally, I'm going to try to run in through my HP laserjet 1100 in two legal-sized paper jobs, which should be fine.
    The paper I have is double matte, and the front looks kind of flat, but good. My next step is to try both gluing it to lexan with something like IPS weld-on plastic glue, or to clear coat it (and mount it behind the plexi, with or without adhesive) with some clear krylon. A test with some flat white krylon (on the back of another sample print) turned out well; the dura-lar holds it well and does not react in any way, so a clear coat should go on just fine. I haven't tried this step yet, but it's on my list.

Another option is to glue the dura-lar straight to the metal. This would probably be okay, but not ideal.

The next two methods involve anodization of aluminum.

The first method is to use either a photomask (alternatively, a staedtler lumocolor pen with a stencil) as a resist on a piece of aluminum, then anodize it (black, for instance) The masked off parts will not anodize, so you dye your anodization and treat the mask as a negative basically. When you are done anodizing, you'd clean off the ink and then seal the aluminum. This should also be fairly easy and inexpensive, especially after you buy most the initial materials.

I looked around, and this place sells a suitable photoresist (dupont riston) you could use with aluminum:
    pcbhobbyist.com (first post). This was the first place I could find DuPont Riston in the film form (If you know of other sites, please post.) It's basically the same as making a PCB, but instead of etching you anodize in sulfuric acid. I am not entirely sure of Staedtler Lumocolor performance in sulfuric acid, but I think it should be fine. There may be other suitable photolithographic methods, but I'm not familiar enough with that field to really say anything. Also, with a staedtler lumocolor pen, a 1/4" lettering template and a rapidograph template would get you pretty far for text, control markings, and if you're creative, graphics. (Google/ebay rapidesign templates; i.e. r-31, r-302, or r-312)

The third method is based off of anodization as well, but also a commercial product called MetalPhoto. The problem is Metalphoto seems fairly expensive from what I've found, especially in sizes larger than 11" in any dimension. However, it's basically unsealed anodized aluminum coated with silver halide over it. Basically black and white photo paper, but on aluminum. You expose and then develop, using a transparency just like above, although I think a dark room might be necessary.

Most of it's described in this patent from 1956:
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=UZp...BAJ&dq=2766119

For price reference, locally there is a plastics shop that will custom cut Lexan/Plexi if you go in, a 2x24" piece. It's like $2.50, for either 1/16 or 1/8.

.025" aluminum should be adequate for an aluminum faceplate. I buy metal from a local metal supply (I have access to a brake, and taught myself how to make a chassis), but a quick check at onlinemetals pulls up $1.92 for a 2x24" of 5052. From what I've heard, 5,6, and 7XXX series aluminum is best for anodization. I've never anodized aluminum before, but I hope to try it soon. I also have access to more than enough chemicals and supplies (I'm a student/researcher in experimental physics), but most of the chemicals and supplies shouldn't be too hard to acquire. Sulfuric acid might be, but I know I can get it from the chemistry department at my school (and they sell it at cost, too), you might be able to as well.

Also, I'm working on drawings and instructions for the best way to go about making accurate chassis and cap covers with a fairly simple brake (3 BF fender styles, some others) if someone is interested. For another price reference, a DIY 24" chassis with cap cover would be around $12 (depending on metals and stuff), and not too much work. This is sort of a result of my goal to make custom sized, good looking faceplates and functional chassis at a cost of around $25 to me (assuming I will make more than one in my lifetime)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tboy; 09-14-2008, 10:10 PM. Reason: added attachment

Lasers will do a great job of "printing" on anodized aluminum. I have a 35 watt CO2 laser and use it all the time for that and other engraving jobs. Unfortunately my laser has a max capacity of 8x10 inches. I use it mainly for making my guitar picks. See www.redbeartrading.com for more on that.

If you were to get a piece of anodized aluminum that would suit your needs, you can bring it to a laser shop with a larger laser than I have and they could do the job. If you use Corel Draw to make your faceplate graphics you will save a lot of money because the laser shop won't have to do any layout work for you. Corel is very easy to use in this capacity. Most laser drivers are set up to use a .007" black line for raster engraving, so if you go the Corel Draw route, that's what you want to do. You can even lay out the center points of the holes you'll need for your controls so that any engraving that is to be done around each hole will be centered with the hole. Now, finding a laser that will actually cut the aluminum or other metal is going to be a different story. The CO2 lasers do not operate at a frequency that can cut metals. They can engrave them fine - either anodized aluminum or any other metal which has been coated with a special paint that bonds to the metal from the heat of the laser point. You need to find a laser shop with a Yag laser in order to cut metal. Or you can find a machine shop with a CNC mill. I have one of those too, and I use it in conjunction with my laser to do different things. I use Corel draw to make my graphics and then I export them to DXF format to import into my CAD/CAM software for processing on the CNC mill. Both my mill and my laser are very accurate so the same graphic can be used on both machines. The laser etches and the mill cuts or engraves metal.

Hopefully there's something in this long-winded post that can be of use to you in your quest.

Comment

What would you guess typical charge for that would be, assuming I already cut the metal and had graphics in a suitable format, for a one-off job?

Comment

Faceplate graphics

I've used a product called Lazertran, which is available in 11 by 17 sheets. I use their waterslide decal product for color photocopiers or laster printers. You can print in reverse, apply the decal upside down (toner against the aluminum) and then bake it in the oven for a fused on, more durable finish. I draw up the faceplate in CAD, mirror it and then send it to the laser printer.

A little tricky, but you can "erase" the whole decal with a solvent and try again if you fail. I've done 5 or so amps, and have also used it for headstock decals (without the baking of course).

Even diagonally, you can't get 22" long but you can use two decals.
        Tom S

Comment

I just finished the chassis for my current project. Some pics are attached. What I used was decal paper for laser printing. I drew up some text and graphics (I used gimp, but any semi-powerful graphic program will do). Then I just printed it with a 1200dpi laser printer onto the decal paper. Then I applied the decals to the painted chassis and sealed w/ Krylon acrylic spray.

The result is pretty decent. You can see the outlines of the cutouts if you look really close, but it's not too noticeable. I'm sure if you get good with the technique you can minimize this.

The cool thing is anything you can print you can put on your faceplate. Also it's cheap... I think it was $3 per sheet, and I only used one.
          Attached Files
          Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

I usually print out the faceplate in the proper size and laminate it with those clear plastic envelopes.
            You can always see a narrow edge you need to leave over, cause the laminate needs this heat glued seam to hold together.
            If you get close enough, you can see a slight uneven surface from some angle (see pic two) but I can live with that.
            Also you are bounded to the paper size your printer is able to handle (if too big you might put several sheets together with scotch tape) and the size of the laminate envelopes you have handy.
            I apply the printout with double sided adhesive tape and the nuts of the pots.
            See for yourself in the attached pics. The white line in between the Master2 and the speaker jack is where I put two sheets of paper together.
            Up to now I haven't found a more inexpensive way to build a faceplate. Not too professional, though.

Matt
            Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. Looks great! Thanks for sharing your technique.

Comment

Thank you.
                Another good thing about this technique is that you can print it in any color you like (unless you have a b+w printer)
                When using a different color than black you might better try different printers (maybe a color laser printer).
                The ink of my DeskJet bleached out with time on one of my prints that was exposed to the sun (not the black, just the other color). Although it was laminated.

Matt

Comment

Matt, what do you mean by "those clear plastic envelopes"? I know you can take things to a place like Kinkos and have them lminated, is this the same process?

Comment

yeah - looks like laminating envelopes that you put through those cheap laminating machines. My wife has one for doing all her teaching stuff. I must borrow it ;-)
                    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Tubeswell is right.
                      I usually use the tabloid size. You can laminate up to four faceplates at a time (at least for small amps). For a longer chassis you need to overlap two of the laminate envelopes (around half an inch is enough) and the machine not only glues the paper but also the enevelopes. You surely can see the seam if you look close enough but for that price I figured what the heck...
                      The machines start at around 25 bucks. I believe every other out of town store sells them.

Matt

Comment

has anyone ever tried electroplating? Antique Electronic Supply has electroplating brushes and compound. I was thinking of trying that for my next build. Anyone have any experience with this?
                        In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Electroplating sounds interesting. What would you do the faceplate in? Gold? Nickel? If it were aluminum you could have it anodized in all kinds of colors.

A friend of mine restores old bicycles and he sometimes takes parts to a plating house to have them chromed. I think he worked out a deal for them to put them in with a larger batch of stuff to keep his cost down.
                          Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by zhyla View Post
                            Electroplating sounds interesting. What would you do the faceplate in? Gold? Nickel? If it were aluminum you could have it anodized in all kinds of colors.
                            I don't know much about it either, but you can buy the stuff on http://tubesandmore.com (http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/...XP?item=S-F296 and http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/...XP?item=S-F225). They also have instructional PDFs linked and it doesn't sound overly difficult. But if anyone has actual experience, I am sure there are things we could learn.
                            In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Chrome type faceplates

I rebuilt a Gibson Discoverer last year pretty much from the ground up. When I was done, I was at a loss for a control panel/faceplate. The original was rusty, pitted and scratched. Here's what I came up with:

I scanned the bare chassis at high resolution. Imported it into CorelDraw and hand-traced over all the graphics like the border lines, the logos and holes. I figured out what the original Gibson fonts were and used fresh lettering for all the text. (It took forever)
                              Stored the file on a USB stick and took it to a trophy shop that uses Corel for engraving, and looked at all the methods they had to offer. What we ended up trying was "sublimation" which is a lot like a T-shirt transfer. They have a special $600 toner cartridge that goes in a laser printer which prints with a special plastic ink on the paper. Then it goes in a heat press and transfers to a piece of shiny nickel they had in stock.
                              It came out great. I tested it with 409 spray cleaner and a nail file. The cleaner didn't damage it and the nail file barely scratched it, so it's at least as tough as the original.
                              Nickel, though, is very soft, like sheet copper almost, so it was kind of nerve-wracking to work with. I had to drill and ream all the holes afterwards and the metal really wants to bend. When that was done, I taped it in position with doublestick scotch tape, the nuts and washers for the controls are what really hold it on.
                              You can see several pictures of the Discoverer at http://20wattworld.com
                              Here's a shot:

BEFORE

AFTER

Fretts
                              Last edited by Fretts; 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X