No announcement yet.

1977 Peavey Classic 212 Footswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have such a amp with normal bright,series and paralel input.please give me the link to peavy.
    thanks in advance
    greetings
    arnold
    arnoldkamp@home.nl

Comment

For assistance/status of repairs for Peavey products and scheduling factory repair appointments, email repair@peavey.com

Customer and Technical Support
      If you have questions concerning product operation, support and warranty, contact one of our Customer Support Representatives toll free at 877-732-8391, by email at customerservice@peavey.com, or by using our Forums.

Parts Department
      To order replacement parts, please call us at 877-732-8391 (toll free in the US) or 601-483-5365. The Parts Department extension is 1386. Our business hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday. Hold times may be long during peak hours. If you have to wait on hold, feel free to leave a name and number and one of our Parts Sales Coordinators will contact you as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I think that diagram is wrong, frankly, you might have been right in what you did.
        To everyone having issues with Peavey footswitches and the schematics either included in the main schematic diagrams or single footswitch diagrams, the diagrams are all wrong. I'm an electronic technician of many years and since getting two Peavey deuce VT's with no footswitches and trying the schematics and footswitch diagrams provided by Peavey and having no luck, I analyzed the diagrams instead of just wiring the footswitches according to them and realized they're just plain wrong. I confirmed this with a Peavey Tech by phone. He said it's due to the drawing department not having technicians. Anyway, Enzo has a good approach to how to find out what makes what work, but if you want color coded diagrams and pinouts with numbers and jpegs of the solder side of the 6-pin jack at the amp I have made my own diagrams that correct the ones by Peavey. I posted about this at DIY STOMP BOXES. If your Classic uses the same pin configuration as the Peavey Deuce VT, you should be able to benefit from my research and diagrams. Incidentally, you can purchase a reasonably priced really sturdy and nice looking Ibanez four button footswitch ($49.99 at The Guitar Center) and it has LED's that can be wired by battery and each button is a single pole double throw verses Peavey having one SPDT and three single pole single throw switches for all but the selector. That Ibanez price includes a removable cord with 1/4 inch plugs on both ends into a single cable which requires only cutting the end that the DIN plug will be wired to. Also check out my blues and melodic rock / metal at: http://www.myspace.com/rumaldoortizangeledge and http://www.myspace.com/angeledgerocks

Cheers!

Please do not contact me for diagrams anymore. I am no longer providing assistance with these footswitches.
        Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:07 PM. Reason: links didn't work

Comment

Looking at the Deuce VT schematic, what is wrong with the footsitch wiring ON THE AMP SCHEMATIC? The wiring digram elsewhere for the footswitch alone is of course mistaken.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Looking at the Deuce VT schematic, what is wrong with the footsitch wiring ON THE AMP SCHEMATIC? The wiring digram elsewhere for the footswitch alone is of course mistaken.

Well for starters, the main schematic diagram with the arrows verses the plug solder side pinout diagram (which also is incorrect btw), has pin 1 going to the combiner common, but pin 1 should go to the phasor. Pins 2 and 5 are channel select and pin 3 is not used at all (nor is pin 6), and I have two Peavey Deuce VT's to confirm this. Pin 4 is for the reverb so only 5 wires are needed for a footswitch with ground common to reverb, phasor and the common of the SPDT combinor switch which when throwing ground to the selector allows channel switching, but when the ground is lifted then both channels are combined. This of course is with a guitar cord connected to the automix front jack. I attached the Peavey version from the Mace /Deuce VT main schematic and my revision that works properly. I also have a reworked version of the diagram with the plug pinout shown in this thread that as I mentioned is also incorrect. Hope that answers your question and why the yelling?

Please do not contact me for diagrams anymore. I am no longer providing assistance with these footswitches.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donovan View Post
              Peavey replied with the circuit diagram. I'm quite pleased with their support.
              Find the schematic attached. Looking at the diagram it seems I wasn't completely correct.

You're right that this diagram is incorrect as is the one included in the Mace / Deuce VT main schematic (see my post in reply to Enzo's question in this thread).

Attached Files
              Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

You were pretty quick to question my post and even using all-caps in the schematic reference (generally viewed as yelling), so are you satisfied with my answer? I'm an electronic technician (30 years including television and tube amp repair), licensed Journeman electrician, since 1983, IT tech, telephone / telecommunications tech, computer tech, computer programmer / consultant, home automation consultant / tech, a highly sought after troubleshooter and problem solver utilizing highly refined analytical skills to quickly find solutions to complex problems, and incidentally, I have a genuis IQ. So I can say with a certain degree of confidence that what I posted is correct and backed by a wealth of technical knowledge and experience in the fields of electronics and related disciplines. I see you have many posts and lots of forum members defer to you and seek your advice and help, so if I stepped on your toes; that was not my intention.

I'm also an award winning musician / composer who's never had even one guitar or music lesson in my life if that gives you any indication of my abilites...

http://www.myspace.com/rumaldoortizangeledge

http://www.myspace.com/angeledgerocks

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmeister View Post
                  You're right that this diagram is incorrect as is the one included in the Mace / Deuce VT main schematic (see my post in reply to Enzo's question in this thread). Attached is my revised schematic that does work correctly. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15626[/ATTACH]
                  This diagram I created with color coded pin designations / numbering and related functions might be useful to some of you.Click image for larger version

Name:	Peavey Deuce VT footswitch correct wiring and color codes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	823061

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Hey Bluesmeister, relax.

I wasn't attacking you, I merely asked a question. If you were aware of my body of posts - and I know you are new and haven't read them all certainly - I try to provide information to as many as I can, and if there is some correction needed to a schematic, I'd like to know about it. So I asked. WHy did I capitalize it? Because i wanted it to be clear I was asking about the main schematic, not the footswitch schematic that is available separately. Not shouting, just pointing out the main point of my interest.

And quick to question your post? Well, I had the question when I read the post, so I thought I should ask it. Would it have been better to wait three days and THEN ask it? (Not yelling, just emphasizing the "then.") I wasn't "questioning" your post as in accusing it of being wrong, I was asking for more information.

I am sure you have many skills and abilities. I have been a techniciian myself for over 50 years, and I see no need to present my entire resume. I may or may not have a genius IQ, but I am reasonably smart. To paraphrase Wilford Brimley, a lot of us here are smart. I am not sure that IQ is a guarantee of wisdom, insight, a meticulous approach, thoroughness, infallibilty, correctness, or even good taste, but if it serves us well, then so be it.

I was wondering if you found on the main schematic that the numbers by the footswitch did or did not properly correspond to the numbered points up in the circuit. This is how I interpret the schematic. I had never interpreted them to mean the pins on the DIN connector. Of course I could have always been wrong about that.

And my other concern was about the Automix jack. Does it still automatically defeat channel selection when plugged into? As drawn, plugging into Automix lifts the ground return for the combiner switch, leaving the amp in comvined mode. But wiring the combiner directly to ground, then this doesn't happen. Is that a change the factory made in the footswitch itself?
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey Bluesmeister, relax.

Because i wanted it to be clear I was asking about the main schematic, not the footswitch schematic that is available separately.
                      Not shouting, just pointing out the main point of my interest.
                      I had never interpreted them to mean the pins on the DIN connector. Of course I could have always been wrong about that.

And my other concern was about the Automix jack. Does it still automatically defeat channel selection when plugged into? As drawn, plugging into Automix lifts the ground return for the combiner switch, leaving the amp in comvined mode. But wiring the combiner directly to ground, then this doesn't happen. Is that a change the factory made in the footswitch itself?
                      Well I guess we should be clear on whether we're referencing the same Main Mace / Deuce VT schematic as the one I am referencing does have the footswitch on the first page (pre-amp section), at the bottom along with capacitor and resistor values below the switch diagram. I had not seen a separate footswitch diagram available for download from Peavey and only on forums such as this one or by requesting one from Peavey. But as mentioned, I have coonfirmed my issues with these diagrams being incorrect IMO directly with a Peavey tech who said it's attributable to their drawing department.

The automix jack is designed according to said schematic to lift the ground as you mentioned so that the footswitch can determine channel selection through grounding, but only if the combiner switch is first activated to send a ground to the combiner common. Note that plugging into the automix jack also activates the LED channel-on / off circuit. If you just plug the footswitch in, you may have erratic or no LED activation on the amp face while channel switching with nothing plugged into the automix jack. Honestly your suggestion to ground pins at the jack was what got me to drop analyzing the schematic and diagrams and stop wasting time looking for those poorly-thought-out pin location circles with no text reference to tell you how they relate to either the switch plug or jack -although they should be the same thing number-wise if the manufacturers of plugs and jacks number them according to the mating of the two, but after a cursory overview of the pre-amp section and having to print it and use a magnifying glass to look for those numbered circles, I seem to remember that some circles had the same number and it all started to not make sense. Enough so as to make me not want to waste my time researching the schematic further, especially based on what the tech said about the drawing department and also telling me the drawing with the pinout and drawing of the plug is the correct one for the VT (I had to confirm with the tech before proceeding to try to use it that the diagram was of the plug solder side verses the amp jack solder side because that's not made clear in the diagram), but again wiring the footswitch according to that diagram didn't work the selector or the combinor and one of those switches turned the reverb on and off. That's what confirmed to me that I couldn't rely on the diagrams and that your approach made much more sense in saving time identifyting what pin does what. So to your credit, your advise still holds up as the most sensible, easiest approach to dealing with repairing, modifying or building a footswitch for amps.

As for your added emphasis, I forget that emails and forum posts and the like can be read differently than intended which is of course a problem with written communications verses proper discourse through speaking where things can be made clear in the instant time. Anyway, I hope we're good since we both want the same thing-to help others with these frustrating problems and simplify things for the less technically knowledgable musicians. Thanks much for your time saving tips. They sure helped put me back on my more useful time saving problem solving approach!

Best wishes,

Rumaldo

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, the wiring diagram for the footswitch itself - no amp schematics - is clearly wrong. At the very least one of the switches looks to be drawn backwards.

Exercising the circuits with a grounded jumper avoids the confusion. At least on this amp the circuits just go to ground. On some of their later amps like the Triple XXX or the 5150-2 they added some transistors to complete the ground path in the absence of the footswitch. Simple ground jumpers won't work there without adding a sense jumper too.

The small circlies with the same numbers, just means they connect to th same place, like several plate resistors each going to "B++" or something. For example: Over at U18, FS2 controls the IC at pin 2. That pin is pulled up by R95 to the +25 rail. FS2 also connects to the top of the R77 and LED CR8 circuit. The two points are connected together as well as going to teh foot switch. SO basically, the LED gets its current through R95 too. SO when you ground FS2. it kills the +25 to the IC, and shorts across the LED as well, extinguishing it. COUld it have been drawn better? Sure.

AS I interpret this circuit, you can plug into one channel or the other. The channel switching only works when using the automix, since the switching is really just a kill function for one or the other channel. SO normally, the automix jack keeps Q1 off, darkening the LEDs and removing the ground path for the combiner switch, and thus the channel kills. If the channel switching were left live, then while plugging into individual channel ins, it couldn;t switch channels, just kill or not kill the one you were in.

Plugging into the automix jack allows R76 to turn on Q1. This provides a ground path for not only the LEDs, but also the combiner and selector switches in the footswitch. SO they work only when the automix jack is used. Now they may have wired around that when making the foot switches, I haven;t looked in one, so I believe you. But that is how I interpret what is on the amp schematic. And I am genuinely open to differing analysis of it.

In any case, we have no problem, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Correction of this line of text:

The automix jack is designed according to said schematic to lift the ground as you mentioned so that the footswitch can determine channel selection through grounding, but only if the combiner switch is first activated to send a ground to the selector common.
                          Note: The original post should have read as is corrected in the above quote and the word selector should have been where I indicated combiner as is corrected in the bold text red highlighted quote. I'm sure you all probably figured that out on your own, but thought I should correct it to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-04-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The diagram from Peavey is almost correct. Original diagram here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit diagram.GIF
Views:	2
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	825147

Pin 6 is also an earth. So if you reverse the switching system at the first switch, so that the live pin is to the right, this corrects the circuit.

See diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit diagram corrected.gif
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	825148

switching the first switch then toggles pin 2 and pin 5 to earth - effectively terminating either channel 1 (pin 2 to earth) or channel 2 (pin 5 to earth). Then switch 2 toggles earth on and off, so no channel is earthed, both therefore combine.

Thanks for the tip on the channels being earthed rather than having to be specifically connected. I spent time trying to figure out where live was, until I got the tip that if it's earthed, that is the key.
                            Last edited by Cacofonix; 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Comment

To everyone having issues with Peavey footswitches and the schematics either included in the main schematic diagrams or single footswitch diagrams, the diagrams are all wrong. I'm an electronic technician of many years and since getting two Peavey deuce VT's with no footswitches and trying the schematics and footswitch diagrams provided by Peavey and having no luck, I analyzed the diagrams instead of just wiring the footswitches according to them and realized they're just plain wrong. I confirmed this with a Peavey Tech by phone. He said it's due to the drawing department not having technicians. Anyway, Enzo has a good approach to how to find out what makes what work, but if you want color coded diagrams and pinouts with numbers and jpegs of the solder side of the 6-pin jack at the amp I have made my own diagrams that correct the ones by Peavey. I posted about this at DIY STOMP BOXES. If your Classic uses the same pin configuration as the Peavey Deuce VT, you should be able to benefit from my research and diagrams. Incidentally, you can purchase a reasonably priced really sturdy and nice looking Ibanez four button footswitch ($49.99 at The Guitar Center) and it has LED's that can be wired by battery and each button is a single pole double throw verses Peavey having one SPDT and three single pole single throw switches for all but the selector. That Ibanez price includes a removable cord with 1/4 inch plugs on both ends into a single cable which requires only cutting the end that the DIN plug will be wired to for jpegs of the reworked footswitch wiring and for other images and color coded wiring to function diagrams at the amp jack connections.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X