Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gauss meter... How much do I need to spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauss meter... How much do I need to spend?

How much do I need to spend to get a good gauss meter? Are the $40 ones on ebay that people use for ghosts good enough? Or do I need something better? How simple, or complex does this thing need to be?

It's like anything else in the world. Buy crap and you'll be sorry. The Carlsen Melton is great, portable and cheap at $259

http://www.carlsenmelton.com/gm200a/gm200a.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM Gaussmeter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	810480
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
      It's like anything else in the world. Buy crap and you'll be sorry.
      I was afraid of that.

Are there any other brands I might want to look into? I'm a luthier that is tiered of buying other people's pickups to put into my guitars. I want to be able to say I made it all myself, so I'm willing to drop the money for good equipment that does everything I need.

Comment

There are plenty out there but they mostly use a probe on a wire. The thing about the Carlsen Melton meter is that the probe is entirely encased in the top of the unit. This doesn't allow you to measure gauss in awkward places but it has the huge advantage of being protected.
        I make a lot of pickups so what do I use? A Carlsen Melton. It's perfect for the application and small, portable and reliable. that's my recommendation.
        To get a true indication of a magnet's gauss with it you need to move the probe over the entire magnet polar face. I love this meter and wouldn't change it for anything else.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Carlsen Malton meter looks nice but what abouth a range? 10000G - some AlNiCo magnets are over 12000G - it is not a problem?
          Have a nice day.

Comment

It's not a problem actually. It's perfect for pickups.
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I'll order it tomorrow.

Are there any other gadgets and meters that I will need for coming up with my own pickup designs?

Comment

Tools I use :

Soldering station which will reach 840 F or 450 C.

Extech Meter

DCR Multimeter

Solder Sucker

Stanley Knife

Plastic and rubber faced hammer

Pliers

Wire strippers

Files

centre punch for flairing eyelets

Sheet steel hand nibbers for cutting custom flatwork

Grinder and sander for sizing and bevelling magnets

Pillar drill

Battery powered drill

Sandpaper 600 grit

Wax melting pots

large neodynium magnets for charging alnico

calipers

bright worklamp

From my perspective, these are essential tools but you could get away with less. I also have some other gear. These are primarily for more ambitious projects.
                ie. I have a flypress which can be used to shape sheet metal into things like PAF covers or for cutting flatwork with cutting dies. I also have a vacuum former for making plastic pickup covers. Things like this are not necessary but it's easy to get drawn into making things yourself.
                sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                  Tools I use :

Soldering station which will reach 840 F or 450 C.

Extech Meter

DCR Multimeter

Solder Sucker

Stanley Knife

Plastic and rubber faced hammer

Pliers

Wire strippers

Files

centre punch for flairing eyelets

Sheet steel hand nibbers for cutting custom flatwork

Grinder and sander for sizing and bevelling magnets

Pillar drill

Battery powered drill

Sandpaper 600 grit

Wax melting pots

large neodynium magnets for charging alnico

calipers

bright worklamp

From my perspective, these are essential tools but you could get away with less. I also have some other gear. These are primarily for more ambitious projects.
                  ie. I have a flypress which can be used to shape sheet metal into things like PAF covers or for cutting flatwork with cutting dies. I also have a vacuum former for making plastic pickup covers. Things like this are not necessary but it's easy to get drawn into making things yourself.

I've got all that except for the extech meter. what exactly does that do?

Comment

OK Spence - so let me know how can I measure a magnet with 12000G by meter with range of 10000G? I don't understand.
                    I want to buy this meter to test all my magnets.
                    Have a nice day.

Comment

huh?

12,000 gauss isn't a magnet you'd put in a guitar pickup unless its real tiny. Your average strat pickup pole fully charged might hit 1200 guass, most are way under that.

Add to Spence's list a magnetizer, I got one recently and really love it.....
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by corduroyew View Post
                        I've got all that except for the extech meter. what exactly does that do?
                        Well you would use it to measure inductance, capacitance and quality.

You see these figures quoted on some pickup maker's websites.
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I'm a luthier that is tiered of buying other people's pickups to put into my guitars. I want to be able to say I made it all myself, so I'm willing to drop the money for good equipment that does everything I need.
                          Just a thought: Don't get caught up in a false sense of "do-it-yourself" quality. Think how big auto makers are. None of them use their own tires.

Comment

So I'll let schaller make my tuners for me

The pickups do so much to shape the sound of the guitar. When I do so much to control every aspect of these things why would I just overlook one of the most important features and leave it up to somebody else?

Comment

I'm a luthier that is tiered of buying other people's pickups to put into my guitars. I want to be able to say I made it all myself, so I'm willing to drop the money for good equipment that does everything I need.
                              I feel the same way here.. and that's the way I'm heading. I started modifying my instruments back in the 70's because I wasn't getting what I wanted... this lead me to make my own basses, so I can make them exactly the way I want.

The last thing was the pickups, and I didn't like what I was using, so I made my own. For my bass they sound perfect... they sound like the bass.

The next step is to make my own hardware, but I'm stopping at the tuners. No point in reinventing the wheel... but bass bridges... yes! They are way too expensive and I'm not crazy about most of them. And always either too wide or too narrow for my basses.

Hey guitar companies use to make their own parts... now, for the most part (pun intended) we use parts that are copies of Fender and Gibson parts.

I don't want Fender and Gibson style parts on my guitars!
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X