can Tyco Octavia damage an input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can Tyco Octavia damage an input?

maybe a weird question. Was playing around with my Tyco Octavia (clone), experimenting powering from +24V (two 009Ps and four AA 1.5V in series). Octavia to SansAmp to Joemeek VC3Q channel strip to mixer. The sound sort of cut out and went dead (which freaked me out a bit) but then when unplugged everything and tested each piece individually they worked. When I tried the Joemeek it sort of seemed hissier but maybe that was a bit of paranoia plus an overactive imagination. Is it possible for the input of the Joemeek to be damaged by the Octavia somehow? (AFAIK there is nothing special about the Octavia clone. Just a GGG board, negative ground, slightly bigger cap for the 100uF with extra 22uF tacked on).

as far as the signal cutting out, was thinking about it and possibly the power was interrupted since I was using an alligator clip-equipped 9V battery clip to connect the 18V(two 009P in series) to the four 1.5V batteries (hard wired to a 009P batt. clip which went to Octavia clone batt. clip). I thought I was careful since I used a drop of Deoxit on each of the clips before I clipped them but maybe that wasn't enough. Also, maybe the batt. holder for the four 1.5Vs (an aluminum Keystone thing which isn't quite stiff enough to be perfectly straight unless screwed or riveted down to a plane--maybe lost the connection there?).

well, I took it apart looked it over a bit and seeing it had switching contacts (it isn't new so figured it wouldn't hurt to try and deoxidize the contacts--some of the metal on the jacks was very visibly oxidized but groping in the dark really) tried the "deoxit in a bag" trick (spray contacts and put it in a ziplock bag) for a couple of days, then reassembled and tried it again and couldn't really be sure if there is an extraordinary amount of hiss (the type of hiss seemed sort of a sharper not very pleasant hiss as opposed to a more relaxing ocean sounding hiss). Did manage to find some SSM2017s which haven't arrived yet but hopefully those will be a backup if I did or do manage to damage or blow up the input IC.

was thinking of this:

http://www.geofex.com/circuits/when_...mps_go_bad.htm

since I had stupidly removed the zeners some time ago at the input on SansAmp in a blind attempt to devolve the parts type(and hopefully sound) and left them since I didn't know what they were for. Guess I need to find some SMT zeners and put them back on at least for a bit of mental reassurance.

Comment

Working...
    X