Humbucker sized single coil dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker sized single coil dilema

I got a used MIJ Jaguar Special thinking i could just replace the pickups with the reissue single coil pickups as well as the pickguard- man was i wrong. Does anyone know of any Humbucker sized singles besides the phat cat (other than coil splitting)? i need a single coil that sounds similar to the jaguar or jazzmaster pickups. unfortunately both are a very unique size, and i would destroy my guitar installing Jaguar/Jazzmaster pickups.

The other option i found was building my own pickup. if i do that, could i wrap the wire around both bobbins in a single loop and put in just one set of magnets, to achieve a jazzmaster like sound?

(Note to admins; since the main question is the former, i put the post in this topic rather than the BYO Pickup section)

There are many humbucker-sized P90's out there of all different flavors. That is the closest you will get. There are also humbucker-sized trim rings for single-coil pickups. These would work effectively as well if you wanted to stick with Strat pickups. Alternatively, you could have a company like WD Music or PickGuardian make you a custom pickguard to fit the Jag pickups.

See, you aren't really stuck. It's just going to cost you some money.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

yea thats the other issue, i'm a student, you know, really shallow pockets. where could i find these humbucker sized p-90s? i don't want to go with strat pickups, they just don't sound the same, and i'm chalking it up to their size. otherwise i could just do coil taps and i'd be golden.

Comment

Here are some economical options:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I'm guessing this Jaguar has two full size humbuckers? If you're REALLY on a budget, You can simply remove the polepiece screws from the pickups. This turns that coil into a non-sensing coil. This makes the pickup sound more like a single coil. Dimarzio's Bluesbuckers have a non-sensing side as well.

Comment

Working...
          X