Switchable 5F6a/JMP50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWJB, thanks, I agree.

Vintagekiki, thanks, I was going to go looking for that.

This site has the best community spirit!

Joe

Comment

FWIW my build is going to have 4 preamp stages, 2series / 2parallel for 6 possible variations. my point is that marshall generally uses cathode follower tone stacks unlike the fender design split between two gain stages. whopping impedance difference and tonal difference.
      a recent conversation,
      ..."why not just buy an amp?".. 'cause I'll just have to tear it apart and fix it anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement mrjetski.

Comment

Sorry to be the one not to offer encouragement, but:-
          This is only an opinion from my personal experience.
          I've allways found the thing that makes a Marshall most "Marshally" is the cab.
          For all their denials of the facts, their amp is a bassman clone with a touch of treble boost. No amount of sticking 6L6's into a Marshall will make it sound like a Fender.
          What this boils down to is that however complex the circuit and electronics become, if you ignore the cab, which i think is the most important and fundamental issue, it may not make much difference.
          Please ignore if you think i'm missing the point.

Comment

I thought there was a wee bit more to the diff between a JTM45 and a 5F6a than just the cab, like the mustard caps, Brit trannies and Celestions Marshall used ;-)

(But I'm not looking to create any hostility here )
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I've allways found the thing that makes a Marshall most "Marshally" is the cab." I don't agree, in an A/B test, yes you're going to hear a difference between a pine Fender 4x10 cab and a plywood 2x12" cab, between open & closed back, but I've heard Fenders through Marshall cabs and they don't suddenly sound "Marshally".

The way the speakers are wired in the cabs will make a difference. An open back, 4x10" cab wired to switch between parallel & series-parallel will give you ball park sound for either.

"For all their denials of the facts, their amp is a bassman clone with a touch of treble boost. No amount of sticking 6L6's into a Marshall will make it sound like a Fender." I don't think anyone is denying it, the facts speak for themselves. I was listening to a guy play through a 1962 on Sunday, in the right hands it certainly can sound Fendery.

From model to model, the amps sounds can dovetail to quite a degree.

Comment

Great thread!

As usual, I think there is wisdom in all perspectives.

My plan is to make a single "over/under" cab. The bottom is to be open back, loaded with a 15" and a 12" Weber Alnicos. The top is to be closed backed, with two 12" Celestion Alnico Blues. It will switch between top/bottom, parallel/series.

Just to be clear, I'm marrying a 5F6a to a 1981 not the JTM45. As much as I love the JT45, and recognize the component/tonal differences between it and the Fender, I would think it not different enough to make it worth the effort, as others have suggested even about the 1981. To me, the cab was the most significant diffference between the 5F6A and the JTM45. The 1981 is, to me, significantly tonally different, and, more importantly, produces the type of 70's-style voice that we are looking for (think Hubert Sumlin from Fender, and Jimmy Page from the Marshall - not Beano Clapton).

Thanks again, all.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                X