Lowering B+ with zener diode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering B+ with zener diode

So I wired up my 5B6 this weekend and it is functional but the B+ is at 510 VDC instead of 400. So I ordered a 100 V/50 W zener diode. My understanding is I put the zener between the PT secondary center tap and ground.

My question is about capacitors. I was reading this page: http://www.aikenamps.com/BackBiasing.html

If you look at the 2nd circuit there is a gigantic capacitor in parallel with the zener. There's a discussion of why that's there but I didn't quite follow and I definitely don't know how to choose the cap size.

Later on he shows a modified approach where the 1st filter cap is attached to the center tap. I don't quite see how to apply this to the circuit I'm building as the center tap is already grounded.
    Attached Files
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Back in the day. Mission Tweedys came with the zener since his PTs weren't voltage-corrected. I don't remember putting a cap in parallel with it.

Comment

That link shows how to get a bias tap for a fixed bias amp using a power transformer that has no bias tap. The circuit you posted is cathode biased, so you won't need a set up like that back bias. I don't know if it will drop the B+ in that configuration. You may want to look at dropping 50v off the B+with that zener. Did you get the 510v reading with all tubes loaded and the amp in play? Gotta have that load on the supply. I would look at using that extra power upstream. Drop the output plate voltage by increasing the preamp voltage. You may be able to "fix" it with a couple resistors. I did use a 75v zener to drop a hot B+ in a custom amp. That was years ago, I don't remember how it was connected, but I remember it got HOT. It was mounted to a hole in the chassis and the chassis got hot as well.

Comment

The 100 V zener dropped the B+ almost exactly 100 V. But I had something wired wrong so I really only needed to drop 50 V - new zener is on the way. I love tubes and all but dang you can do some cool stuff with silicon.

They do indeed get hot. I bought two, a 100 V and 120 V, and one of them came with a little plastic piece that I guess goes between the diode and the chassis? Didn't make much sense unless it's a thermal conductor. Seems like thermal grease would be more worthwhile.
        Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Working...
        X