Curing hiss: Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing hiss: Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb

This is a '95. PCB (PITA) that has had all resistors in the signal path (and a few others) changed to metal film. I've added a feedback loop (the PCB was set up for it and swapped the PI tube for a 12AT7, but the owner would like it as quiet as possible and it still has a bit of hiss, although it's reduced considerably.

Any thoughts?

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-centr...-vibrolux.html

Scroll down to post #17 for some relevant info.

MPM

Comment

Thanks! It seems I've seen this before somewhere...

Comment

Here is a demo of my CVR after I had it modded. It's quiet and sounds great now.

Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb with Mark Moyer Mods - YouTube

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	823297

No hum, no hiss. I was unable to do the Mark Moyer mods with the feedback loop because for whatever reason, there was a nasty parasitic on both channels. Tonestacks are AB763, no tapped pots and I lowered the gain to clean up the amp at the customer's request. I think it sounds a lot better than orginally designed.

Comment

That's a lot of work. Almost certainly improved the ground scheme. If you swap the OT primary leads the amp won't oscillate when you employ NFB.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Funny you should say that Chuck. I did swap the secondaries and got the dreaded positive feedback howl. My thinking was if that didn't change the polarity then swapping the primaries would result in the same scenario, plus they were buried under the heater wires and my referencing resistors. Laziness I guess. There was a problem with the board that I couldn't trace so we decided to hand-wire, always the better option.

Comment

Working...
              X