New strat body w/ contoured heel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New strat body w/ contoured heel

I have a new Warmoth guitar body that has a neck pocket depth of 5/8".
    I'm installing a Warmoth guitar neck that was on a Fender Strat body.
    The neck pocket depth on that guitar looks to be about 21/32".
    When I just try to measure the difference it looks to be about 1/32"
    I'm worried when I install the neck on the new body (I'm waiting on the shorter neck screws for the contoured heal) the neck will be a little high and I won't be able to adjust the action. When the neck was on the Fender body the action was good. I had another Warmoth body that the neck was too high on and I had to use a router to make the neck pocket a little deeper.
    This new body has a contoured heel and doesn't have as much wood to support the neck.
    I'll take some measurements of the heel on the new body and post that.
    I really hope this can be made to work?
    Please ask questions if I haven't made myself clear.
    I'm also using a fixed bridge.

OK here is a picture
    The thin part of the neck heel is 3/4" the the thick side is 7/8"
    I'm afraid there is not enough wood to support the neck if I were to remove 1/32" to deepen the neck pocket. I have the book Build Your Own Guitar by Bill Foley. He doesn't recommend routing the neck pocket unless you have to.
    With a fixed bridge he recommends 1/32" thick shim under the bridge.
    I not crazy about this idea either. It's a Warmoth neck and body I don't know why they make their necks to Fender specs but don't make their strat body neck pocket depth to Fender specs??
    The wood is swamp ash.
    Attached Files

Comment

Before you do anything routing, attach the neck to the body and put the bridge in position, and then lay a long straight edge on the frets so it extends to the bridge, and see where that ends up in relationship to the bridge.

1/32" is very small, and I'm sure you should be able to get your saddles up high enough for get a good action. Also look at different fixed bridges, as some are higher than others.

if the neck is finished, you might consider removing the finish on the heel. You could also had a very small shim to the front of the neck pocket to tilt a small negative neck angle on the neck. This wound bring the action up higher and allow you to lower the saddles.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X