Magnet charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet charging question

Does it make any difference if, when charging a HB bar magnet w/ large neodymium 'bricks' (1 X 3 X 1/2) in a vise, one passes the entire completed pickup between the bricks. Assuming you are going for a full charge, that is, or nearly-full charge. Anyone have any experience with this?

Nobody has tried this and then compared gauss to a 'normally' charged magnet?

Comment

Found this in the archive posted by Possum: "With a charger you can also charge a full humbucker assembly instead of just the magnet, this gives a whopping charge, almost double just doing the magnet alone. In fact it was too much really when I tried it out." What does this mean? Are you somehow inducing a charge into the slugs, screws and keeper?

Comment

Yep. Charing an assembled humbucker charges the full magnetic circuit, the slugs, keeper and magnet and poles. by themselves the keeper and slugs and pole screws don't hold much charge, but make a circuit out of it with magnet included and the guass almost doubles. You have to use a real charger though. Bear in mind too that alnico 2,4, and 3 are non-oriented magnets so if you charge them in a vise with neodymiums, as you are pulling the magnet out the direction of the charge is being pulled in a different direction as you pull out of the field, this isn't as good as using a real charger that turns on and off with a switch. Doesn't matter with alnico 5 which will only charge in one direction....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

(1) So if you charge up basically a big horseshoe-shaped 'circuit' via charging an assembled HB and end up w/ a supercharged gauss level, does it retain this level indefinitely or does it settle-down to a normal gauss level over time? I would not think the magnetized, but non-alnico material (screws, slugs etc.), would actually hold a charge themselves and if not, then I can't see how a bar magnet could be charged to - and hold - a higher gauss level than the standard specs. I'm not questioning your findings, just trying to understand how this works!

(2) So drawing an alnico 2/3/4 bar through two neos to charge it esssentially results in a bar with a pear-shaped charge? Lower at one end, higher at the other (the end last withdrawn from the neos' field)? If so I can actually see it being useful for neck pickups!

Comment

Working...
          X