No announcement yet.

Squealing in strat single coil pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing in strat single coil pickups?

What do you guys think is an acceptable amount of squealing to occur in a high volume situation?

I tried out a different amp at practice and to my surprise the pickups I was considering putting into my strat squealed in a significant way while the Kinmans that are in my guitar remained quiet and never looked like squealing.

(I should point out, I'm not in anyway endorsing Kinman pickups, I like them I use them, what is written above is what happened in a given circumstance.)

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Originally posted by mark View Post
    What do you guys think is an acceptable amount of squealing to occur in a high volume situation?
    By todays standards and technologies...Very little. Even vintage pickups can be made to squeal very little by just soaking them in a polymer and allowing them to dry. I would suspect any newly manufactured product that is prone to squealing to have flaws in other areas as well.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

soaking them in a polymer
      Thanks for the reply, but what is polymer?

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Comment

The term "polymer" has come to encompass almost anything that creates a harder substrait by the process of polymerization. Though some such products are actually copolymers. Common polymer products include varnishes, urethanes (technically not a polymer), polyurethanes and other such hardening plastic type finishes.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Dear Chuck

Thanks for the reply. These pickups sound okay, it's they are a bit more microphonic then I remember regular single coils being.

I remember my original Fender pickup were much more microphonic than the Kinman's, I also remember that the SD SSL-1 were as good as the Kinman's for a while though they became microphonic over time.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Comment

Working...
          X