Yamaha wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha wiring

Does anyboby know how Yamaha humbuckers are wired in a SA (335 style guitar)?
    Humbucker pickups have 3 coils and SA uses push push tone pots for splitting? the coils? I always seen you need 4 coils for splitting so I´m very confused.....

I think you ARE confused. A humbucking pickup has two coils. And thats all you need to do a coil split. I have never seen a normal guitar pickup that had three or four coils. There were some novelty items made here and there. But normally it's one coil for a "single coil" and two for a humbucker. Splitting the coils on a humbucker makes it a single coil because one of the two coils is used independantly.

There are countless websites that cover standard and custom guitar wiring schems. I doubt you'll find the exact Yamaha guitar schem you need. But you could just rewire it as a 335 with a coil split mod. That sounds like what your after.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Humbucker pickups have 3 coils and SA uses push push tone pots for splitting? the coils? I always seen you need 4 coils for splitting so I´m very confused.....
      I think you're using the wrong terminology.Perhaps you mean lead wires instead of coils? That would make more sense.

Comment

I meant wires you´re right, I´m very sorry I made a mistake.
        As I said above these Yamahas are the only 3 wires pickups I´ve seen anytime that´s thereason why I´m asking which wire is used for?

I would thank anyone pointing to Yamaha schematic as far I´m not able to find any.

Thanks!

Comment

I would guess that it works this way.A four lead humbucker has a hot and ground lead for each pickup. I would imagine the Yamaha pickup has a hot lead for each coil and the third wire is a common ground lead for the two coils,instead of a seperate one for each coil, and therefore only three leads. You can still split the coils since you can put only one of the hot leads into play via the push switch,same as you would with a four lead humbucker, and have only that one coil operating.
          Last edited by spud1950; 10-07-2008, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Get hold of a meter that can measure the resistance of the pickups, and measure the resistance between each pair of leads. One of those leads will be the "tap point" between two coils. You will be able to identify it because the resistance between the other two wires will be roughly twice the resistance between than middle one and any other.

Comment

Working...
            X