Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESR Meter

Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend where I could get an ESR meter at a good price, or even a kit that I could build. I really need one for work.
    Thanks,
    Marina

What do you need it to do? What precision do you need? What conditions do the caps operate under? Are you characterising for match, comparing different vendors or doing maintenance and repair?

And what's a good price. $500 for a $1200 unit? Or just something under $100?

MCM sells this basic unit for $200.

Look for an older Sencore "Z-meter" in the LC series. I found a couple LC53 models on ebay like this one

In fact plug ESR Meter into ebay search and find a number of types.

Here is an interesting site for ESR meters:
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Here is a simple project meter:
    http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Google ESR Meter for more hits than you'll know what to do with.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have the Dick Smith project kit one. I love it. It's exactly what is needed for debugging old tube amps.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Personally, I have found ESR meters to be rather useless, but that's just me.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

The LC53 doesn't do ESR does it? At least it doesn't spec it in the cut sheet I found. Just says value, dielectric absorbtion, and leakage. I have a couple LC77s, and they do ESR. Just be sure an' do the lead short/open null cal first or it'll throw off the ESR readings.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

http://www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/esrcompar.htm
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              What do you need it to do? What precision do you need? What conditions do the caps operate under? Are you characterising for match, comparing different vendors or doing maintenance and repair?

And what's a good price. $500 for a $1200 unit? Or just something under $100?

MCM sells this basic unit for $200.

Look for an older Sencore "Z-meter" in the LC series. I found a couple LC53 models on ebay like this one

In fact plug ESR Meter into ebay search and find a number of types.

Here is an interesting site for ESR meters:
              http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Here is a simple project meter:
              http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Google ESR Meter for more hits than you'll know what to do with.
              I'm in maintenance & repair. Not very sophisticated. Looking for something under $100. I'm used to using one that just has an analogue meter that will let you know if the cap is dried up. I wasn't aware there was much more. I need one of my own for my part time job.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                Personally, I have found ESR meters to be rather useless, but that's just me.
                The ESR meter has been quite helpful to me on many occasions. However I can remember one instance when the ESR meter indicated the capacitor was good, but the ohm meter showed it only discharging in both directions. It was bad, and replacing it straightened out the problem in the circuit.
                Last edited by Marina; 10-08-2008, 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks Joe, this is great! I think I'll get that Blue kit.

Comment

Gtr, and Marina, if the LC53 didn't include ESR, I apologize. I know the later ones did, I assumed the 53 had it as well.

Personally I never saw the need for ESR readings. It was far more efficient to me to just replace suspect parts than to take the time to characterize them. And usually from circuit function we can tell if the parts are bad.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Exactly! This comes from experience.

Speaking for myself, and most likely for Enzo and other experienced techs here, I find that the older I get, the less paraphernalia I need to troubleshoot and repair most units.

Having said that, the meter that we have around "just in case" is a Wavetek LCR55. Sure, it has a great cap and inductor checker built in, but the handiest function is that it has a 20Ω setting that will read down to fractions of an ohm. This is handy when trying to find those .1uF decoupling caps that short on opamp rails. It eseentially lets you find the path of least resistance.
                      John R. Frondelli

Comment

Oh lord yes. You open up a 32 channel mixer with 15v rails loaded down, and there are at least a half dozen op amps per channel plus all the master section ones and each one has a little bypass cap across it and ONE of those is shorted. What a pain.

The most likely use I have for an L/C meter is for inductors. Crossover inductors come in even units like 3mHy, 4mHy etc. and we need a 3.6mHy coil. Buy a 4 and unwind part of it. watch with the L meter.

Comment

Gtr, and Marina, if the LC53 didn't include ESR, I apologize. I know the later ones did, I assumed the 53 had it as well.

Personally I never saw the need for ESR readings. It was far more efficient to me to just replace suspect parts than to take the time to characterize them. And usually from circuit function we can tell if the parts are bad.
                          It does help to check the ESR of output coupling caps in older stereo recievers/amplifiers that used that type of circuit. Caps that go high ESR there will dull high freq response. I have a couple customers who bring me old Marantz, Sansui, etc stuff and the lower powered ones are sometimes cap coupled output. Of course we don't see this in pro audio stuff.
                          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Oh lord yes. You open up a 32 channel mixer with 15v rails loaded down, and there are at least a half dozen op amps per channel plus all the master section ones and each one has a little bypass cap across it and ONE of those is shorted. What a pain.
                            OR, you can use the technique I learned at Behringer in Germany. Smoke 'em out by bypassing the PSU regulators and feeding the opamp circuits raw B+. Most of the opamps will take +/-30V, so you won't harm them, but the shorted cap will just snap open in a little blaze of glory!!! Cool to watch. All of our house PSU's have regulator bypass switches installed. We'll also do this on the bench with open modules on a triple DC supply. I always say "Cook it 'til it dies!".
                            John R. Frondelli

Comment

I am using a Peak Atlas ESR - Capacitor Analyser - Model ESR60

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html

I am an utter muppet, so it really helped me to be able to check the caps in circuit quickly, I love the thing...

No doubt when you really know what you are doing they are less useful, but this one has saved me LOTS of soldering

Comment

Working...
                              X