Finally started building the new winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally started building the new winder

Well it's taken a lot of time drawing in solidworks and mastercam, but today a friend and I cut the first pieces to my new winder. I plan to share pictures as it gets built (which will reveal its design) as I have spent hours taking from this forum and want to give something (no matter how small and insignifigant) back

When finished, the winder will have a fully automatic and adjustable traverse. The traverse speed will be fully adjustable while winding without stoping so that you can alter the turns per layer mid-pickup (1 to 100 TPL on a 1/4 tall bobbin). The traverse is driven by belt/pulley to the bobbin spindle. The winder can be adjusted from 0.01 to approx 0.8" tall coils and will wind up to a 5" wide coil. It is cam driven but not in the traditional sense of a traverse rod pushing against a cam or riding with it. The cam contact point is changable with a lever mid-wind without stopping (This features is there to fill either the center or the outside of the bobbin more should it fill up in one space). Max RPM is about 2000rpm.

Here the first picture of the base of the winder. This plate holds the rotating CAM disk and supports the whole traverse mechanism. Doesnt look like much now, but I'm hoping to have her look really sexy in a few weeks.

The one thing I HAVENT figure out yet is the tensioner system. While I know many people here use it and swear by it, I just cant bring myself to use the the felt-clamp method. I dont want that to come off as a slam, but I think I want to have greater control over the tension with some form of selection. I may have to look at a commercial tensioner. I'm going on an experimentation binge and I want to be able to make repeatable minute adjustments to tension.

belwar
    Attached Files

Man - It has been taking me forever to get this winder off the ground! All I have to say is that Solidworks is the coolest program ever written. A co-worker has been helping me with the drafting and surface modeling in Solidworks while i've been doing the CNC machining and Lathing.

So far I've had to rebuild 3 parts, 2 of them were remade 4 times because I messed them up. A day of my life wasted - Though not really I suppose.

The base is made from 6061 Aluminum, and the CAM plates are made from Cast Plexiglass. What you see in the picture is the cam mechanism on the bottom and the future wireguide on top. What you dont see in this picture is the bobbin mount, tensioner and pulleys - They are not yet designed in Solidworks so I cant show them. The CAM mechanism is very cool to me because its adjustable on the fly to do pyramid winding and control bobbin build-up. While the traverse is automatic and linked to the speed of the bobbin rotation, the operator still has plenty of control over where the wire is placed and how th bobbin fills up - Sort of Half Machine wound, half scatter wound.

The hard part so far is keeping everything centered: The holes in the base plate, to the shaft collet, the holes in the shaft itsself, and the cam disk. Off by even a little and the disk (in red) doesnt spin centered. Not what I want.

I hope to have the drawing complete in a week, and the winder finished in two.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's an interesting design. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Centering everything is a pain in the butt. Of course, that's why I used a lathe Might be a bit tricky on the big bits though. When I built mine, I started with the shaft. Once it was centered and everything would turn smoothly I built around it.
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Well Im getting even closer now. After spending the last week on the lathe machining parts, and several frustrating attempts, i've got the core design down. This does not include the motor and pullies, but that is the easy part. Excuse the low quality of this photo.

b
          Attached Files

Comment

Well I finally finished the winder this morning. I'm so sick of the lathe its not even funny. While a pickups winder isnt anything really special, this was a lot of fun and a labor of love to me.. I made a quick video with my new Black friday toy and posted her on youtube for you all to see. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w85Y2DS1g

Comment

That looks really good! Great work.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X