Good P90 bobbins nowdays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good P90 bobbins nowdays?

Where can one find a good one these days along with the other parts needed.

Guitar Jones updated their P-90 bobbins recently. They're a lot stiffer than they were and they don't distort as easily. Also the dogear baseplates are nickel silver. Mojo parts are the same as GJ.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Thanks Jon, I have one of those cheapie epi Lp;s that i routed to hold 3 P90's like s strat, custom pickgaurd etc.. and wanted to wind up a few for that. Thanks for the help.... I'm not touching my 02 custom LOL....

Comment

i recently ordered several P-90 bobbins from different places to see what the quality was like. Overall I was not impressed. I've been wanting to wind P-90's for a while and bought several over the internet from different manufacturers to examine. Some people make thier own bobbins now (such as Jason Lollar) probably because the quality of what is out there is not very good. Mr. Lollar uses forbon for his which is very easy to work. After seeing his I decided to make my own out of Phenolic because of its good di-electric properties.

belwar

Comment

The Allparts one I ordered a couple of years ago are not accurate for a real P90, the bobbin height is 0.265 inch. That is part of the reason I make my own bobbin.
          The other thing with making your own bobbin is you can shape the sound with the bobbin height, as I recall I think I even go down to 0.125" and filled (the empirical way of making a pickup) it with 44AWG ... the customer needed a fat sounding pickup for a lap steel.

Comment

Yes,
            I am making my p-90 bobbins from frorbon since first on.I bought some parts kits from montreux but the plastc-bobbins do not look right for me and the screws are metric.
            I would like to have the same bobbins like Duncan uses on his Ants.They look absolut vintage.

Comment

I don't think those baseplates are nickel silver, they are plated brass probably....dig into it with a file....
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I do not know if GJ has them.
                Those kits from Montreux use nickle silver.

Comment

Originally posted by J S Moore View Post
                  Guitar Jones updated their P-90 bobbins recently. They're a lot stiffer than they were and they don't distort as easily. Also the dogear baseplates are nickel silver. Mojo parts are the same as GJ.
                  Is this true anymore? I wound a set of p90's last night and noticed that I had two different types of bobbins in my drawer... One was .250 and one was .265ish and the top and bottom pieces were thicker two. I am pretty sure that the only places I have ever ordered p90's from were GJ and Mojo. I guess I have not made enough with each bobbin to listen for tone differentces but I am sure that they would sound slightly different right? Vintage height is closer to the .250" dimension?

Comment

I´m routing my P-90 bobbins and spacers from forbon, too. Also the nickelsilver or brass baseplates. So I´m not dependent on other sources and have constant quality and control.
                    www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

I canned those rubbery GJ bobbins about a year ago. The Allparts bobbins seem to work great for me. They also have a touch more vertical space than the old GJ's. Hopefully the new GJ's are pretty much the same as the Allparts now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                        I canned those rubbery GJ bobbins about a year ago. The Allparts bobbins seem to work great for me. They also have a touch more vertical space than the old GJ's. Hopefully the new GJ's are pretty much the same as the Allparts now.
                        How much is a touch? Can you measure one and post the dimension for vertical spacing and for the thickness of the top/bottom?

Thanks!

I have some from GJ and some from Mojo...and they are both different I just don't know which place they came from because I mixed them before I noticed that they were different. I do like the Allparts HB Bobbins and baseplates so I would like to try thier P90's on my next order.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                          How much is a touch? Can you measure one and post the dimension for vertical spacing and for the thickness of the top/bottom?

Thanks!

I have some from GJ and some from Mojo...and they are both different I just don't know which place they came from because I mixed them before I noticed that they were different. I do like the Allparts HB Bobbins and baseplates so I would like to try thier P90's on my next order.

Comment

About 1mm. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference when you're winding a 10k/42.

Comment

Working...
                            X