Opinions Wanted!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Wanted!!!

I have an Immaculate PeaveyJSX. I know a person who wants to trade my amp for an '84 Marshall JCM 800 model 2205 (channel switcher), w/ a gain mod by Matt Wells, Drake Trannies, 6505 power tubes. Mr. Wells yanked the diode clipping turning it into a mini Jubilee. It also has new filter caps since May of this year. What do you think?

Which amp do you like better? Forget about age and value for a second, just how the amp sounds, feels, and features that are important to you.
    -Mike

Comment

I agree, it' s of little of no importance ( unless you're a collector ) to own an old amp if you don' t like the way it sounds.....If you don' t like it you're not going to use it.....

A word about the JCM800s :
      To me they have been the last "true" Marshalls, and the 2x12 50 W was the best IMHO, as it didn't need to crush your neighbors' ears to sound the way it was supposed to, giving great distorted tones at ( reasonably ) low volumes ( unfortunately most Marshalls seem to sound good only at volumes between 10 and...hmmm...11, according to Nigel Tufnel ).

Having said this, simply trust your ears, if you can have the two amps side by side for a comparison, plug YOUR guitar in and choose the one you like best ( or the one that better suits your needs ) regardless of the tag it brings - too many times we leave our eyes ( or sometimes word of mouth ) prevail on our taste and hearing.
      Regards
      Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Working...
      X