No announcement yet.

Single channel 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting bit about stagger tuning here.

I am thinking about my next build already -- a 5F4. Thing is, I have NO use for two channels and four input jacks. I am not going to build two channels on the thing. I am just not gonna do that. So, what to do with the extra triode?

This stagger tuning thing is interesting, but what are some other possibilities? Could I also use the triode to create two gain stages before the tone stack? (See attached) Or with a 12ay7 (MU = 44) would that be basically the same thing as putting in a 12ax7 (MU = 100) and just using the first triode (stock)? Further down that line of thought, if I put a 12ax7 in the first spot and used both triodes in series, what would that do? Create a lot of preamp gain, but would that cause any undesirable things like killing the pots in the tone stack?
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing your Soul Kicker design. I did this on my 5E3, since I had wanted to use that extra tube for something. I chose to wire the volume/tone as a 5E3. It sounds great! I like two voicings, one stock and one a bit hotter.

Question: why use a 500k pot there instead of the 1M? I did, just to follow your suggestion. I have been trying to wrap my head around it for a few weeks now. Is it because of the 220k mixing resistors?
      In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
        By rote memory, here's a quick sketch of my old 1994 (hard to believe it was that long ago) 6V6 Soulkicker amp.
        Where I put variable values for parts.... is where "you" tune your own amp to taste.
        The cathode switch, on the bottom of the other triode, is so you can engage it as you want.
        If you allow different values for the plate load resistor, coupling .01uF to .1uF cap and the .68uF to 22uF cathode bypass cap (and or 1k5 to 2k7 cathode biasing resistor) on the switched triode, you can stagger tune these preamp so it sounds like two different preamp stages mixing/running into one driver and power stage.
        If you want a little more channel isolation, use a 220K resistor after each coupling cap before the volume control.
        Also, with the addition of 220K to 270K mixing resistors, you can later put a little 360pF to 1000pf cap across one of the 220K mixing resistors to get a little more high end sizzle grit into the mix, with respect to one stage over the other. Again, tune the switched preamp triode to taste...
        As drawn, you can wire the volume and tone control like a brownface Deluxe or the other way around, like a tweed 5E3 Deluxe but use a 500K audio pot.
        I preferred a 1M a volume pot wired as a brownface Deluxe in the Soulkicker amps...

I've wired my input tube up like Bruce suggested in the schematic, was working fine until now. Sometimes when I flip the switch, the volume decreases dramatically. If I keep messing with the switch (turning it on and off), it finally comes back to normal volume on either position. Any ideas as to what's going on? Also, if anyone else has done this, can you comment on the way the amp sounds switching the triode in and out. Seems very subtle to me. Just want to be sure I've done it right.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

First thing is to check your DC voltages (esp your B+ voltage when it loses volume). What are they like?
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X