Champ 12 Reverb Circuit on a Gretsch 5222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ 12 Reverb Circuit on a Gretsch 5222

I bought a Gretsch 5222 on Ebay to be my next mod project. I've been putting the idea list together and I thought reverb would be cool. The the Champ 12 12 implements reverb by driving the pan straight from the speaker output - eliminating the driver tube and the reverb transformer! Very clever if is sounds good, which leads me to my question:

Has anyone here had experience with this style of reverb circuit? Any opinions on sound? I would probably use two triodes instead of a FET amp since I would have both halves of a 12AX7 to work with.

I'm excited by the thoughts of sampling the reverb sound straight from the output, PA distortion and all, but would a conventional transformer driven circuit be more manageable?

Schematic:
    http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...p_12_schem.pdf

No opinions, huh? Just as well. I got the thing open and I'm not confident I'll be able to neatly add such a complex feature. Thanks to those who looked!

Comment

This type of verb has been discussed before- generally it's not looked upon very favorably. I think it's worth trying for yourself and tweaking it a bit. I thought about a similar design for a "stereo" 8 watt per chan amp with verb- left driving right tank and vice versa to help elimnate the chances of feedback.

You might try to build a single tube verb based on some other design. The low gain side of the 12dw7 with a fender style verb transformer will drive the reverb nicely and the high gain side can recover. If you need more gain a jfet works really well. Without the jfet you can build it like a mesa dc-5 reverb or with the jfet you can built it blackface fender style (with the accompanying treble boost from the conjunctive filter blend circuit).

jamie

Comment

Working...
      X