Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke VS resistor

I have a SF pro reverb I rebuilt. I changed out both transformers but
    instead of a choke the amp had a 25 watt 1K wire wound resistor. I just replaced it with a new resistor. Is it worth replacing the resistor with a real choke tone wise?
    If I replace it is a standard Fender choke OK or something from Mercury Magnets better?

Rymac

I take it you mean a choke in a Pii filter from the screen supply-node onwards?

The idea of a choke is to improve filtering in the B+. It will be quieter than a resistor filter, and there shouldn't be any hum. Compared to a resistor, it also has relatively little DC resistance, so you get more DC voltage at the screens (so you might need to add 470R-1k5 3W-5W screen grid resistors if the screen voltage rises more than 3-4VDc above the plate voltage in each tube), as well as increasing the B+ throughout the pre-amp, which increases the signal headroom (i.e.; if you don't change anything else about pre-amp stages) and so gives a bit more chime. The choke should be rated for enough current - if it is just for the screens and pre-amp B+, then 40-50mA will be fine.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Didn't we just have like two threads on this exact topic within the last week or so? Do a search.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X