Small Stone Nano, Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Stone Nano, Rate

I have a Small Stone Nano. With the color switch down, the rate knob has a usable range from about 11:00 to 1:00. By 3:00 the rate is so fast that there is just slightly noticeable buzz under the original sound. Above 3:00 and the only difference between the pedal being on and off is a slight darkening of the sound. There also seems to be a spot just after 12:00 where there is a noticeable jump in the rate.

With the color switch up, the range smoother is more usable, from about 9:00 to 3:00.

I called EH. The tech support guy said this didn't sound "right" and transferred me to customer service. The customer service guy said that he plays the pedals more than the tech support guy and that this was "normal" for the nano.

Can anyone tell me if this is really "normal"? Could it be a poor quality pot or other component?

Thanks,
    Tony

The colour switch on the SS does two things. First it adjusts how much regeneration there is. Second, it adjusts the LFO circuit in a manner which simultaneously alters the width and shape of the sweep, and speed range. When it works flawlessly, you get a slightly faster speed with a narrower sweep width and no feedback in one position, and a slower range with a wider sweep and more regeneration in the other position. These two positions are pretty much what works best.

It is quite possible that the components involved are at the perimeter of their respective tolerances and result in what you hear by sheer fluke.

Comment

So you wouldn't consider this very narrow usable range of rate "normal", right? If this is just the way are, then I'll learn to live with it, otherwise I might start tinkering. I haven't had any luck finding a shop in town that has one I can compare too, so I thought I'd ask around.

Thanks,
      Tony

Comment

Upon re-reading your original posting, it occurs to me that perhaps the toggle switch is the source of the problem.

The color switch will change the speed noticeably, but not in the extreme manner you are describing. Since the speed pot produces desirable results between the 9:00 and 3:00 positions, it clearly isn't the pot, so something is (or isn't) happening when the switch is set to one of the positions.

I do have to qualify these comments by saying that the circuit for the Nano version may be different in some ways than the circuit for the Issue J version everyone is so familiar with in the larger chassis. Not necessarily a LOT, but perhaps enough that I can't say "Look for THIS component", since it might not be there.

Comment

Working...
        X