Champ woes - very low output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ woes - very low output

I've been checking this forum out for a while but as I have only built one amp until now have had no reason to post. I just finished assembling a second Champ kit that I have built previously without incident. It is basically a 5F1 with the addition of a tone control and master volume. The first kit was a single 6V6 whereas this is running two 6V6's in parallel with the help of beefier transformers.
    The symptoms are:
    1) When first fired up it worked as it should but the normal operational hum seemed a bit too noticeable.
    2) After some time playing through it - couple hours - the fuse blew. The fuse was a 1 amp and may have been a bit small. Replaced with 1.5 amp.
    3) After the fuse blew the volume output became very low - full on the amp sounds like it's on 1. Some crackles/pops that accompany the output increasing for an instant then back to low volume. edit: the volume creeps back toward normal with some crackles as the note decays - so, (i'm guessing) when the signal voltage is at it's highest something is failing and as the voltage decreases it approaches normal operation - would this indicate anything?
    -I've tried various tube substitutions with no improvement.
    -I've checked and rechecked the wiring and all seems good.
    -I've taken numerous voltage readings but am unsure what measurements would help in diagnosing. edit: the most noticeable voltage variation from normal is pin # 6 12ax7 (the plate voltage driver stage according to the manual). Normal voltage is listed @ 145v-180v. Measures 107v - what might this indicate?
    My knowledge of amp-speak is limited but I have built numerous guitar effects and am not a complete noob to electronics but neither do I have an EE degree or alot of amp experience.
    I'm trying to figure out if it might be something minor like a cap or major like a transformer.
    Any and all help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by captntasty; 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM.
Working...
X