Kmd gv60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kmd gv60

HI all . I just bought a KMD gv60 amp. Its SS preamp and 2 x 6l6gc power amp. Its from the early 80's,english,1 x 12" celestion . Very Loud,Sounds great, no issues.Just wondering what the STANDBY switch is for.Next to the ON/OFF switch is Standby HI + LOW. Not sure if I should be using it or ignoring it.Seems this is a pretty rare amp,not much on the web about it.Its fast becoming my favorite,although hard to play quietly, it seems happiest LOUD .Anyhow any thoughts or info on this old girl, greatfully recieved.THANKS SCOTT

No info on that specific amp...But I can tell you about standby switches. There is a specific purpose to that switch and I have to assume it's the same for your amp. When you power the amp on the standby switch should be in the "standby" position. This allows the filaments in the power tubes to heat up and get the tubes working correctly before you apply full working voltage to the tubes. It is bad for the tubes to have voltage on the plates before the filaments heat up. in olden times this was less of an issue because "rectifier" tubes also had to heat up before the high voltage would pass along to the other tubes, giving the filaments time to warm up. But most modern designs use a diode rectifier that is capable of applying the full +V high voltage right away. So a standby switch allows you to warm the tubes before the high voltage is applied to them. It's a good idea to use it. 30 seconds should be fine. The standby switch also allows you to mute the amp but still keep it warmed up at the ready. As the name "standby" switch implies. That way you can take a break, and when you get back to your amp you can just flip the switch and your ready to go.

HTH

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck ,that all makes a whole lotta clear and logical sense.Its good of the original manufacturer[KMD] to offer that option,to help protect the tubes.So what is the best way to power up the amp.Flick the standby to LOW.....Turn on the power ....Wait .... I Guess that would be the gentlest way. THANKS SCOTT.

Comment

that standby switch is confusing on this amp

there are THREE settings

1. Hi wattage
        2. Standby
        3. Low wattage

the standby is the CENTER setting. You can then choose to run the amp hi power or low power once it warms up

I am about to buy one of these and noticed this on the one in the shop

Comment

Kaman KMD Amps Catalog
          Kaman KMD Amps Catalog

made in England and this address on the catalog
          KMD Sound Electronics,P.O. Box 507,Bloomfield,CT 06002

Comment

That standby switch is mainly to mute the amp during breaks. Cathode stripping will not be an issue with a little amp like this, regardless of how you use that switch. Danger to power tubes from early application of high voltage is only an issue with high power circuits - like radio transmitters. You may have noted that MANY low power amps do not have a standby switch.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X