Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5F1 Champ DIY: No sound (Tube/Transformer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F1 Champ DIY: No sound (Tube/Transformer)

Hey guys this is my first time doing this, and my second time building a fender tweed tube amp (first one was a 5F6A 4x10 Bassman, worked perfectly).

I plugged it in last night (5F1 Champ) and was a little confused about the AC line wiring. So i plugged it in the first time and blew the HOME electrical fuse, not the amp fuse. Did that about 2 more times, (blowing the home fusebox), rearranged the wires, correctly, and then voila, heater wires are on (light) and 12AX7 is warming up. But no sound, none at all, and the rectifier (5Y3GT) and power tubes (6V6GT) are not warming up (no glow). I figured out that my dumb self switched the 5Y3GT and 6V6GT tubes, so i switched them back and the rectifier (5Y3GT) is glowing, 12AX7 is glowing but the power tube isnt. I am wondering with the voltages that the tube must have seen, could it have blown the tube? is replacement necessary? and could a busted power tube completely cut the sound in the amp or is there something else i should be looking for as well (leaking PT)?

also sorry for the long post but could i switch a 5881 for the blown (i dont know) 6V6GT to see if there is any output to the speakers?

and there appears to be no problem with the 6V6GT tube, no discoloration, no obvious problems, a broken key at the pins but am 100% positive, the pins lined up everytime.
    Last edited by adammerah; 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM.

Take some pin voltage readings to see if the 6V6 is getting the voltage it needs. Check all the voltage readings you can, it will narrow down the area of your problem. There should be voltage numbers on your schematic or layout. good luck.
    Last edited by Jaybird; 11-06-2008, 02:21 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

MWJB,

I did some checking up on the specifics, on the 6V6 the pins are either getting 1VDC or nothing (besides the heaters). I checked for continuity or connections and they all seemed good. and on the 5y3gt the leads are all in and seem to be getting the right voltage (though really hot to the touch, more so than my 4x10 bassman), 375VDC and 5.3V. there is no power gettting to the filter caps either, same voltage at the node as the 6v6 pins, 1V or none at all.

Now knowing that i am thinking about a couple of things,
      1. the 5Y3GT tube that i am using a NOS RCA one, could it be bad even though it looks like i am getting good voltages at the pins?
      2. the 6V6 could be blown by plugging it into the power tube slot. How could i check?
      3. Are one or both of the transformers busted? Is the OT resilient? How would i check?
      4. a bad connection somewhere.

can you guys help me narrow down the list. im not sure how or where to start.

thanks,

adam

Comment

Working...
      X