Fender Princeton 65 DSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Princeton 65 DSP

I am new to this site and very glad I found it. I am just starting in this world of electric guitar and the learning curve is knocking me out but I will get it eventually. Here is my current problem. My best friend just passed away and I got his Fender Princeton 65 DSP. It's probably 8 or 10 years old. Anyway, I brought it home and plugged in my guitar to the Input and nothing happened. I tried everything and couldn't get it to peep. Out of desperation I plugged into the jack marked Power In and bam.. it worked. Why do you think it didn't work in the Input jack? Thanks in advance for your attention to this question. Respectfully, John

I just found a problem

I wasn't sure if the Input jack wasn't working because of something I was doing wrong but I just tried again and found that there is something wrong with the amp. If I touch or push on any of the three jacks on the right Power In, Foot switch, or FX it works. Its shaky and keeps cutting out but if I push it I can get it to work for a little bit before it shuts out on me. Any easy fixes for a thing like this?

Comment

Fender 65 DSP

Sounds to me like bad, cracked solder joints at those jacks.
      Try to resolder them.
      The fact that you went in Pwr Amp In, and the amp worked, means the power amp is working.
      So it is a preamp problem.
      Those jacks are part of the preamp.

Comment

The Power Amp in jack has internal shorting contacts that route the pre-amp signal to the power amp when the effects loo[p is not used.
        It is possible that those contacts are corroded or loose and are not making good contact. This is one problem that can cause the symptoms that you describe. It's actually a common problem with amps that have been sitting unused for a while and amps in which the FX loops isn't used by the owner.

Try this easy test. Plug a spare guitar cord into the pre-amp out jack and plug the other end into the power amp in jack. This sends the pre-amp signal directly to the the power amp bypassing the internal switches. Then, using a different cord to your guitar, try the front panel input jacks again. Does the amp comes to life?

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

Interesting diagnosis

Your statement about my problem being common to amps that have sat for a while or fx that weren't used applies here for sure. I'm not sure about the test you suggested, could you clarify for me. My amp has these 3 jacks and the foot switch jack.
          Thanks for taking the time to address this for me.

(INPUT) (PRE OUT) (PWR IN) (Foot Switch)

Comment

Sure.
            Use the spare guitar cord to connect the (PRE OUT) to the (PWR IN)
            Then connect your guitar to the front panel input in the normal manner and see if she plays.

Tom
            Last edited by Tom Phillips; 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM. Reason: Hit return before finishing

Comment

Working...
            X