crate vitage club 2110r tube location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crate vitage club 2110r tube location

I am fairly new with tube amps and have a crate vintage club 20.I need to know which tube is for the gain,reverb phase inverter. I have some schematics but the just say v1 v2 v3.Thanks for any help in advance.Have some nos tubes I want to try in the phase inverter.

Crate V20

The phase inverter typically is right next to the power tubes.
    The first input tube, V1 is the farthest from the power transformer.
    Can you post the schematic?

Comment

27602SCH_4[1].pdf
      here is the schematic.

thanks
      Last edited by ecoman35; 02-07-2010, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Crate VC 2110R

So much for typical.
        Are the tubes lined up in a straight line.
        (3) 12AX7s then (2) 6BQ5 output tubes?
        The preamp tubes are V1, V2 & V5.
        The output tubes are V3 & V4.
        Here is the signal chain: 12AX7 dual triode.
        Input to V1A to V1B to V2A to V5A & then the phase inverter is V2B.
        V5B is the reverb drive tube.

Comment

yes they are 3 12ax7 then 2 el84 i have some old hammond organ tubes 12ax7 from great britian and holland and 1 12au7 made in usa I heard the 12au7 would do well in the pi.

thanks

Comment

The schematic doesn't tell you the tube order.

Look on the layout for that.

V numbers refer to positions on the schematic, they do not refer to tube order across the chassis. Sometimes they are the same, but often they are not - as is the case here.
            Attached Files
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Crate

Without having the amp in front of me I cannot tell you which tube is in what location.
              You would have to sit down with a meter & figure it out.
              What a goofy numbering arraingment.
              I think you may have an issue with trying out a different tube specifically for the phase inverter. It uses one half of V2. The other half, V2A, is linked to the tone control, mid boost & level set.
              V1A & V1B are the first stage & volume control.
              V2A: Tone & Level
              V2B: Phase Inverter
              V3 & V4: 6BQ5 output
              V5: Reverb

Comment

Jazz, dude, that is why I put up the layout pictorial just above you.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys so from what i read v1 gain/tone v2 pi v5 reverb in that order 123.
                  would the 12au7 be a good choice for the pi.I used the hammond tube made in great brittian (mullard ?) in v1 and the 1 made in holland (amperex-phillips?) in v2 and v5,was reading that the 12au7 was a good tube for the pi position.the 1 I have says made in usa these are all out of a hammond e-1oo.

Comment

Fast typing

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Jazz, dude, that is why I put up the layout pictorial just above you.
                    Enzo, thanks for the board layout.
                    Your post appeared as I was typing.

Comment

I know, I checked the time stamp when I posted that. I was just banging on your cage.

Comment

Enzo - a long time ago you posted a PDF that I think gave the tube order on a layout for a Crate VC20. I've tried clicking on that link but it is dead at this point. Do you still have that info? If so, I would love to get a copy of it....thanks in advance

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        The schematic doesn't tell you the tube order.

Look on the layout for that.

V numbers refer to positions on the schematic, they do not refer to tube order across the chassis. Sometimes they are the same, but often they are not - as is the case here.

Comment

Assuming it is the same circuit as the VC2110, he has it here:
                          Guitar Amplifier Schematics and more

Comment

You wouldn't really get the benefits of a 12AU7 in the PI unless you changed R15 and R18 from 100K, which is right for a 12AX7, to somewhere in the 22K to 47K range. I just built an amp with a cathodyne PI like this one and I'm using a 12AU7, but I have, I think, 33K resistors there. I can't remember exactly, but it's somewhere in that range.

EDIT: I also didn't notice that the PI shares the same bottle as the triode driving the tone stack. Swapping in a 12AU7 there would change the amp a lot. I'm not sure if it's laid out right for a normal 12DW7 to be an option, which is a 12AX7 triode and a 12AU7 triode in the same bottle, but JJ makes an ECC832 and an ECC823 which are the same but have the order of the triodes reversed, so you could, i suppose, pick the right one if you really want to mod your amp to use a 12AU7 in the PI.

Comment

Working...
                            X