anyone used these SE OTs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone used these SE OTs?

Has anyone tried either of these transformers? I am thinking about replacing an OT in a 5F2a type amp to be able to use with my plethora of 8ohm speakers.

OT #a) Antique Electronic Supply search for P-T31

OT #b) Mojo Surplus Sundowner/Swamp Thing SE Output Transformer they don't list primary impedance but Mojo tells me they are designed for use with a 6V6.

Can I infer much from the listed weight of the units? #a = 0.7 lb, #b = 1.0 lb

My amp has a 6V6 fitted now, but might like to try a 6L6 or EL34 at some point. I understand the 6L6 would like the 5k primary, not sure about the EL34.

I've used them both... actually I bought more then 50 of the MOJO ones 7-8 years ago when they were about $8.00 each.
    I used them for a while in the 5 watt Soulkicker Jr amp and the 3-5w Scholar amp kits... eventually moving to custom Hammond 125E OT build.
    I probably still have some of the MOJO OTS, but... I had started having a high failure rate with them and stopped using them in anything but little 3-4 watt 6V6 amps.
    I think they were left overs from the low watt ADA amp days... they sold the trannys for something like $1 per pound back then.

The AES OT is OK. They are both 5K and rated at around 5-8 watts.
    Since I don't remember having a failure with the AES P-T31 OT, I'd probably try one of those again.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

How does the AES OT compare to a stock Vibro-Champ OT in terms of current handling capability and stack size?

Comment

Originally posted by Groover View Post
        How does the AES OT compare to a stock Vibro-Champ OT in terms of current handling capability and stack size?
        It's slightly heftier. I've used a couple of them in a Danelectro and one in a Harmony SE amp-they're cheap and effective.

Comment

I got the AES OT and swapped it into my 5F2a mongrel. The amp does seem a little bit cleaner which is good. Plus now I have many more speaker options.

The iron doesn't look any bigger than the stock VC OT, but the coil form seems beefier - it is as wide with no outer shield as the original is including the shield.

More tweaking will ensue.

Comment

Working...
          X