Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best sounding SS amp you all have encountered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by g1 View Post
    No pressure for an endorsement deal there Juan .
    It looks like Juan's guitar amps run about $650-ish US. Not bad! Especially considering these are 100% Juan (or nearly) with very little outsourcing. Of course most of us here build our own but good to know.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• I also know Juan likes digital for audio about as much as I do...

Sorry for the broken link, you can guess I'm real good with this technology stuff by my previous sentence. No need for an endorsement deal, I've got a stable of nice tube amps I can barely keep up with. Plus, I don't think I could do Juan's amp justice - not MY sound, but still a great sound nonetheless. I didn't check the prices, but factoring in sound quality, build quality, and customer service, it's hard to beat.

I think there's only one other guy here who builds his own SS amps. But I won't call him out in the open...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

• A lot of info on Fahey Amps here: Fahey Amplifiers
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

• Sorry, ,missed Steve A's question about how the G100-112 III compares to the G50-112 II. In all honesty, I don't know. Some reviews online seem to slate the III and (while I can't find a definitive answer) it seems that only the I and II were Rivera designs. I'd bet they are not miles different but I can't guarantee anything. Also, total matter of taste here, I think the III is pretty ugly where the II looks sweet. Shouldn't matter but I'm angling to be allowed to keep it in the living room so it does help

Cheers,

iep
          Last edited by iep; 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• I can't speak for the best SS ever, but the best one I've ever owned is the Fender 112SE. The clean channel is almost as nice as a tube amp. We won't talk about the distortion though...
            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

• Mine custom made one is a Tubeless wonder :-)

https://soundcloud.com/sam-rothrock/...y-sam-rothrock

Comment

• Gibson Lab L5,7,9 series without a doubt!
                Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRH1958 View Post
                  Gibson Lab L5,7,9 series without a doubt!
                  Definitely! I have been mentioning amps that can be bought used for a song... not a full symphony complete with orchestra and chorus! ;-)

Steve A.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• After a long time searching, I've managed to find a Yamaha G100 mkii head. Going to use it with my Peavey Classic VT with the Peavey as a 212 cab. Only problem is that (despite superb packing) the guys at UPS manages to smash the case during shipping. Gutted.

I think the electrics have survived though so I'll report back on how it sounds with my 212 cab (WGS G12 and Jensen C12k).

iep

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=2Q6_9A90cUk

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• Just got this today via UPS. Maybe Jim Carrey delivered it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	837909

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	837910

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	837911
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• My wife ordered a wooden decoration from Germany around Christmas time. A sort of carved village thing maybe a foot high and two and a half feet wide with lights on it. It took months to get because it was lost in customs. For a long time no one even knew where it was. When it finally arrived I asked the USPS deliver driver "What happened to it?" The box, marked with bright red "FRAGILE" stickers on all sides, was crushed, bent, torn, scuffed with black greasy marks and water stained! Just the sight of it looking SOOO bad with all those "FRAGILE" stickers on it was comical as hell. I'll have to see if I can find the pictures.

Comment

• Dude,

Where's the "WTF?" button? Looks like the Gibson Thor my friend bought, UPSed from PA to VA. She noticed the box was damaged, but since she couldn't lift it, she left it in the downstairs closet. When she opened it 6 months later... I'm still wrapping my head around how you smash a 6" hole in a (at least) 1/2" plywood (not particle or MDF) cabinet. By which time it was too late to make a claim. She forgot to tell me the box was damaged when received; I'd have told her to open it right away. The two C10Ns didn't survive, either. Dammit. So now Thor is a fire-breathing-monster-of-doom head with a 2x10 cabinet w. Celestions. The Jensens await reconing.

Chuck, funny picture or not, I hope your wife's decoration arrived intact... Customs is the worst. I remember when grandma would visit from France, they'd trash her luggage and hand it back to her stuffed in bags. They'd even open the presents she'd wrapped for us.

Justin

In the interest of defending my friends, in every field there are those who love what they do, those who see it as a job but not worth being malicious over, and those who just take every chance to make it miserable for others. I've known great delivery drivers, good ones, and ones who literally hurl every box right off the back of the truck and onto the asphalt. You can hear the stuff breaking across the parking lot.
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

• Best SS amp I've encountered is a US made Peavey Bandit 112 from about 2003, the "Red Stripe" version with a Sheffield 1230 speaker. I did change the speaker to an Eminence Wizard. Very convincing tube-like distortion. I generally only use the "vintage" mode of distortion. The other modes are too hot for my taste.

Comment

• Road 20 Bass Amp Hi Albert

Originally posted by Albert Kreuzer View Post
                                Hi Billy & Brian,

back in the days I had a Road 220 bass amp. It failed at the first gig (blown output transistor, turned out to be a BD183 instead of the RCA 2N6259). It was still under warranty, so no problem. The catch was that I was the tech who did the warranty repairs for that particular shop
                                Still got the service manual, including all schematics and layouts. If you need something, let me know.
                                Sold the amp to a student last year, still sounds great. Never had a failure since that blown transistor.

Cheers,
                                Albert
                                Jan 6 2017
                                I have a Road 220 that blows OT's...NT-181....after pushing it a few hours in the woodshed
                                I would love to have copies of Road 220 Manual and Schematics and Layouts....will pay good price
                                I also would like to find new Can Capacitors Mallory 4000MFD 60VDC ....or equivalent, hard to find....maybe they need replaced also (originals)

thanks...hope you are still out there somewhere

Comment

Working...
                                X