Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The secret of the Ultra and how to steal it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret of the Ultra and how to steal it...

Having discovered (IMHO) the absolute best way to get killer tones from my (slightly modded) Ultra 212 and recently rescued Ultra 120 I'd like to pass it on and propose a new DIY amp I hope to build.

Taking the hint from an old HC Ultra review, the hot ticket for the Ultra's with their active (+/-15db) Ultra/Cruch tone stack is to PEG EVERYTHING except the tone which you set to full cut. Then you simply dial up enough Bass and treble to let you hear a highgain tone which will destroy small buildings; it is among the best highgain sounds I have EVER heard; it breathes fire and harmonics jump out of the bone crushing slabs of molten metal. I am running 4x NOS GE12ax7s and the original power tubes, its quite amazing. You CAN NOT get that tone by pulling the master vol. down and having the tone controls near mid. And you can (as I do) run it through a little 2 x 5.25" ported cab and get a completely FULL sound at low bedroom volume. Its incredibly versatile.

After I get a guitar splitter built up from an Edcor matcher and play through both amps voiced high and low, I plan to build a preamp with Ultra topology and 2-4 different active tone stacks which can be switched between, or blended, to give a couple flavors of high gain madness. Clean? who cares....(not I)

cheers all!

I rather like the active EQ, but thats me. I'm not a scooped mid metalhead....I like beefy mids. I have a first series Ultra head I got for cheap 'cause it had problems. Once the problems were sorted out, I really didn't care for the sound of any of the channels. The clean ch was too dead sounding....the dirt channels were harsh...especially when trying to clean up by rolling down the guitar vol. I made a heap of changes to the front end and the output section and ended up with a decent sounding amp. I still need to lower the center freq of the active mid control which is a bit nasally sounding. Maybe I'll just make it sweepable.....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Got a mic? I'd like to hear this and I don't have nor know of an Ultra that's local to check out.
      -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        it breathes fire and harmonics jump out of the bone crushing slabs of molten metal
        I agree, sound clips or it didn't happen!
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X