Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving pots and jacks off of PCB

Hello,
    I just picked up a vc3112 and in doing some research it seems like many of the issues with these amps stem from PCB mounted pots and jacks. How difficult is it to relocate these? Any ideas on what this would cost if it is possible. How difficult would this be? Thanks for your consideration.
    Eric

Oh my, I think that would be a collossal waste of time. Just my opinion.

Don't confuse two things. Saying that WHEN an amp has a problem it is often THIS, is not at all the same as saying this amp often has THIS go wrong.

The VAST majority of those and any other amp model, goes through life with no trouble at all. Jacks crack free of their solder because every time you shove a plug into it, you stress the solder. In fact, being anchored to the panel helps take stress AWAY from the solder. Loose nuts on jacks are contributing factors to cracked solder.

people also step on their cords, That pulls down hard on the cord and breaks the jack. SOmetimes even bends the panel.

And unless you plan to beat up the amp severely, the controls are pretty secure mounted to the panel.

My view is that if the amp is in good shape and working well, you ought to wait and see if any of these problems develop.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm with Enzo on this. While I would actually design or build an amp with PC-mount pots or jacks, there are plenty that have been built and remain trouble-free.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Yes, the time to relocate them is after you've wrecked them.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X