Kmd output problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kmd output problem

I have a KMD GV-100S AMP w/8x10 Celestions, (2 4X10 cabs matched to 4 ohms)This amps preamp is ss and the power section is tube.When I play a note on guitar its very clear but during and after each note there's sound like a compressed distorted shhh and it bleeds off (fades)in nanoseconds.Also,How do they get 100 watts out of 2 6l6 gc's, Is it the 100 watt torroidial transformer doing the work,I cant even play this in my garage on #1.Can I get a schematic somewhere.Thanks

I have heard that same sound on bad speakers.
    Try to narrow it down.

Comment

I tried a fender bassman head in each cab seperatly and the problem is not with the speakers.The notes are clear in the KMD head but that distortion fizzle sound is still there.

Comment

Kind of a fuzzy sound and clipped-off notes at low levels? Could be cold bias...

- Scott

Comment

Cold Bias

ie: Crossover Notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            ie: Crossover Notch.
            Yep! If the tubes are biased near cutoff, small signals will get "eaten up" because the output tubes don't have very much gain at low currents.

- Scott

Comment

Iwas told that this amp has a fixed Bias

Comment

Originally posted by grazzze View Post
                Iwas told that this amp has a fixed Bias
                "Fixed bias" doesn't mean the bias is non-adjustible; it means that a negative voltage is used on the grids, rather than a resistor at the cathode(s).

- Scott

Comment

OK,Thanks I'l take to the shop and have them take a look.Thanks for the input.Can you tell me how they get 100 watts RMS out of 2 6L6GC.I thought you could only get 45 on push pull.Does the 100 watt troidial transformer have something to do with it.

Comment

When you take it in, have the tech measure the maximum clean output voltage.
                    From there: P= VxV /R.
                    Power = voltage (squared) divided by the load resistance.
                    I seriously doubt (2) 6L6 tubes are going to get you 100 watts out.

Comment

Per the RCA specs, you can get an easy 55 watts out of a pair of 6L6GC's in class AB1, and that's without exceeding any ratings. You can get a lot more by using some of that SS trickery to run in class AB2 or by using a dual-rail power supply, but 100 watts is probably a little exaggerated.

- Scott

Comment

Maybe they just advertised the peak power rating. I haven't actualy seen any literature stating that the 100 watts would have meant the continuos power.

Comment

Icant run this amp above #1 in my garage,When I plug my 50 watt bassman head in the same cabs matched impedence,I Have to set the volume too #7 to have the same,Weired.The tubes in the KMD are the original ones from the 80's.Anyways,Thanks again,I'l run it down this week.

Comment

7 on the Fender Bassman volume control.
                            Input to which side? Bass or Normal.
                            And where do you have the tone controls set?
                            Might be something wrong with the Bassman

Comment

In normal channel,treble,bass and presence set @ 12 oclock,Someone modded from a 67 to 66 and added a mercury xfmr.

Comment

Working...
                              X