Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to source 3" tall 9-pin preamp tube shields (for 6BM8)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to source 3" tall 9-pin preamp tube shields (for 6BM8)?

Hi, everyone--

Anyone have any idea where to order single-unit 3" tall 9-pin preamp tube shields (Fender-style)? Do they even make tube shields that tall?

Thanks in advance!

I've never seen one. Power tubes that run hot are usually just held in place with a spring clip, AFAIK.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I agree, I have never seen a power tube shield.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Turns out they do make them. I found a Russian supplier of military 9-pin sockets with fully-enclosed 70mm shields. Obviously, shipping is very high, and they have a minimum order... Hopefully, there's a US source...

And, as you guys indicated, there are indeed spring clips. As I understand it, the EL84 clips will work, provided the base is 3/4" and not 7/8" as is sometimes used for some makes of EL84s.

Comment

Check out the IERC tube shields with the internal fins. The fins transfer heat away from the glass envelope. Supposedly the tube would run 10% cooler with these in place. Used by the military, and by Hewlett Packard in their old signal generators. I have some that are 2 3/4" tall that fit 6bm8 or el84.
          ....Jon

Comment

Woooooooo, those sound great--thanks for the suggestion and confirming that the 2 3/4" fit the 6BM8! I actually saw a 2.5" one on ebay but wasn't sure what to make of them. Do they hook onto the bayonet lugs on typical Fender-style shield bases?

Also, if you happen to have the model number, that would be a huge help. The 2.5" one has part number TR5-6025. Can't seem to find the part number for the one that is 2 3/4" tall.

Update: P/N is 6027B, "extra tall." At $12 each, they are PRICEY, even used, but it beats breaking 6BM8 tubes at $15 to $20 a pop.
            Last edited by dchang0; 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Here are some photos of some that I have. They are all marked 6027B. They snap onto standard tube shield bases. One photo shows the liner removed. ...Jon
              Attached Files

Comment

AWESOME! Thanks, Jon--I found a source for them and ordered one. To anyone else interested, Fair Radio Sales Company Inc. carries them in three different types under the same MILSPEC number. As of this writing, $15 for the model with the highest heat dispersion rating, $12 for the medium one, and $10 for a competitor's knock-off that meets the same standard.

Comment

Working...
                X