Fender 350k tapped treble pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 350k tapped treble pot

I've never had the opportunity to play any of the old Fender amps utilizing this. I'd like learn a little about it...

Can somebody give me a rundown on what effect this particular pot has, in terms of both function and sound-wise?

Thanks in advance,

Fred G.
    Last edited by Fred G.; 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM.

It shunts a little bit of the high end (from the bass and mid portion of the tone stack) to ground. I've played amps with it...some nice, some I didn't care for...but the only times I've swapped them in and out with regular 250K pots, I can't tell any difference.

Comment

Thanks, Admiral.

So that's all it does, huh? I have always wondered about those pots. Nice to know now that I won't want to fork out any cash to try one out!

Thanks again - I appreciate the info.

Fred G.

Comment

That's all it does in that circuit. You'd get identical results with a 280K pot (OK, 250K), and a 70K resistor (OK, 68K). Connect the resistor on one end to the bass pot/treble pot junction and on the other to a .0033uF cap to ground.

Comment

FYI, Kelley Brown's schematic for the Transatlantic Bassman uses the methods you've mentioned to simulate the whiteface tone controls. You can google the schematic.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

The only situation in which that won't work is if you turn the treble down past the 'tap' point...but I can't imagine that many people do/did.

Comment

Weber VST used to have those pots - and they were reasonably priced. I haven't checked recently.

Comment

The tapped pots were used for James (Baxandal) tone controls

The James circuit was used for hifi amps primarily because it has a flat frequency response with the treble and bass at 5. Increasing the treble and bass resulted in a mid-scoop similar to the Fender/Marshall tone controls.

The story is that Fender got a bunch of these pots from a HiFi amp builder that went out of business. He used them for a little while and then switched back to the standard circuit.

The attached schematic is for a 6g8 twin.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PRNDL; 05-05-2007, 06:57 AM. Reason: more detailed info
                See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
                http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Working...
                X