Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this transformer work in a Fender Champ 5c1 ripoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this transformer work in a Fender Champ 5c1 ripoff?

Hi,
    I'm brand new. Both to amp building and to this forum. I am, for all intents and purposes, an idiot. I know just enough about electronics to get myself or someone else electrocuted.
    I am building an early fender champ clone. I needed transformers for it and didn't want to spend $75 for a power/output transformer bundle. I went to an electronics surplus store, bought an old military spec signal generator at a helpful proprietor's suggestion, and tore it apart. I am wondering if the transformers that I got could be used in my amp. The guys at the store seemed to think so, but it seems like the power transformer is too big. It has about 15 wires coming out of it, lots of different colors. The machine had sockets for about 20 tubes in it. I have no idea what to think, so I'm asking if anyone has ever used such a thing in an amp project. There was another, smaller transformer, just a gray box. It has written on the side: 1-4 : 6000 ohms at 50 ma dc
    tie 2-3 : pri at 420 dc
    7-10 : 600 ohms out 3w bal. load tie 8-9
    5kc to 50kc +/- 3db
    175 pwv Tresco 10465
    Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt

I suspect that those are both overkill for the teeny 5C1, but hey, maybe you can use some of the taps to make it happen.

Here's a link that may help you track down info on Tresco.

Tresco Transformer - AudioBanter

Perhaps Dynaco or one of the other companies mentioned still exists or has documentation that mentions the Tresco transformer you have.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing about overkill. But I will look at the taps to see if I can make it work. The machine was running 6l6 power tubes and a 6aj7 tube, among several others. Maybe there is something there? I'll no doubt be posting more questions in the future.

Comment

Oh, and you can always save the transformers for later builds with more power, voltage, or tubes.

If you're building a true-to-size 5C1 clone, you may have to consider the physical size of the transformers you choose, because that little cabinet is tiny.

Comment

Working...
        X