never heard of these celestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never heard of these celestions

ok so i just got this twin and realized it actually has celestions in it that ive never seen.. these are G12-412 AVT? i have never heard of these and cant really find a lot of info on them. anyone? anything?

-anton

As far as I know, AVT means they are the crappy ones that Marshall put in their Valvestate cabinets.
    CELESTION G12-65 avt speakers 4 ohm...any info on these? - The Gear Page
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I wouldn't say crappy, but they're definitely voiced darker to make a SS amp a bit warmer....
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        As far as I know, AVT means they are the crappy ones that Marshall put in their Valvestate cabinets.
        The same with those speakers that came with the Marshall 800. G12-70 watt they were the reason guys didnt like the 800 at first,then they found out changing them made 1980's "hairband" Rock If you can get them for $10-$15. ok for backup or if your buddy wants to "borrow"your stuff

Comment

+1 for not crappy, as this is not a quality issue. Would you call a Greenback crappy because it didn't sound like a G-12T75? Marshall actually has speakers specifically voiced and specially made for many of their amps. IIRC, they even change the grill cloth material if need be. That's why an AVT 4-12 sounds different than an MG-412 or a 1960 Lead. I remember that there is a different speaker used in some of the 2-12 combo versions than the same amp in a 1-12 version. If it sounds good, it is good.

Comment

Celestion

I have boxes of different speakers that I keep for certain sounds..A cheap speakers can make a real cool distortion,and at a few dollors who cares if you blow them up.I keep All my good Jensen and Celestion speakers put away and use them only for recording.Look at the Kinks You really got Me, they put small cuts in the speakers to make them sound fuzzy

Comment

Small-magnet Celestions sound good. A customer brought in an AVT 4x12 cab. He had replaced two of the AVT speakers with Vintage 30s and was about to do the same with the other two - but it sounded lovely with the combination in there, the AVTs kept the top end smoother I thought. So another +1 on AVT speakers not crappy! And in general, expensive don't always mean good for guitar speakers. Large-magnet Celestions sound harsh and aggressive to me, they give me a headache!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                Well, crappy is in the ear of the beholder sometimes. I picked one of these up cheap because I needed a 4-ohm speaker quick, didn't plan on keeping it, and figured "hey. it's one of those crappy Chinese ones..." May sound lousy in a solid-state Marshall, but it sounded so good in my original design 22W single ended (KT120) combo that I decided to keep it. Since then I've also had it in a 2X12 with a 4-ohm Celestion G12t-100, driven by a Super Reverb, and it also sounds excellent. Definitely not your usual Celestion tone -- maybe THAT'S why I LIKE it ...

Comment

Working...
                X