The Good Cheap Gear Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Cheap Gear Thread

OK, so here it is, as requested in "Buying Gear - Think Big". This is about your tips for great guitar tone on a budget. Ready to go: no modding should be required.

Chuck H already suggested Ibanez Artist guitars and Traynor tube amps.

I'll add the larger Selmer amps: Treble'n'Bass 50 and so on. The later T'n'B 50s are hideously ugly, but classic sounding.
    Last edited by tboy; 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: added link code
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Not possible. You pay for it one way or another, in cash or in the time you put in building it.. unless you find something on craigslist... but even then I have not seen tube amps go cheap on there either..

-g

Comment

I think the idea is stuff that is used and "off brand". It works great, but because it isn't cool, it won't sell.

I got my T'n'B 50 for the equivalent of about $140. (OK, I admit, it was faulty )
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

The internet has killed most of the pawn shop deals in my area.

I picked up a Westone Thunder II for $90 a few years ago. Suprisingly good sounding guitar.

You can pick up a Boss DS-1 for $25 used. Good basic distortion pedal.

I have heard a few tweed covered Crate and Peavey tube amps recently that sound decent. They can be had in the $300 to $500 range.

Comment

Pignose G40V - you can still find them for less than $300.

Carvin amps like the Nomad are little known, but are good quality, so with patience you might find one.

The Crate V series amps, and all their variations over the years, sound pretty good.

I'd stay away from the Peavey Classic 30, just because of their bizarre construction, which often makes them unreliable after they've been serviced.

Comment

Working...
          X