Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you get started building/fixing/modifying guitar amplifiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My interest came about during the mid 80's watching my father repairing valve equipment from record plays to real machines, he was a ex-sound engineer at Tannoys he also showed me basic electronics and how to respect it!

Later in on in the 90's I worked in a old tv/video repair shop, I recall how the old tech with 40yrs in the trade could speed his way though a faulty tv with in 2hr's flat and sit back in he's chair to give a speech on how,why it went faulty followed by step by step to solve the problem..the work shop had boxes of working chassis of different tv such as deac..sony..philips..goodmans.. Ferguson...etc plus many video's like gold star more sony's... all in all it a gold mine of all manor of parts.. even the odd test equipment laying about telescopes.

Old Joe would welcome his customers by offering them light refreshments tea/coffee bit to eat then say have a seat I'll shall have your set ready in no time pointing them the waiting area!

it was a wonder learning from him how he would strip things down to a pile of parts on the beach and then have it fully working...he would say 'learn' read' get stuck in and if in doubt ask many questions that's the best way to learn this trade!

so over the years I've worked in many studio's surrounded by pa. valve gear..speakers and from time to time get asked to work on items.
    Experience comes with more understanding

Comment

Working...
    X