Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 6100 (92-93) Tube search

Hey all,
    I recently purchased a Marshall 6100 EL34 (92 93)and am interested in getting a compressed, glassy clean channel. I bought the 6100 for the older tones (plexi, JTM) it is reputed to produce as well as modern tones. In shipment one of the Mullard EL34s was damaged so I bought a quartet of EL34 #2 Groove Tubes hoping for softer sound. While the clean channel is very nice, especially for a Marshall, I would still like to hear more compression but no breakup. The gain and crunch channels are great and what you would expect from a Marshall. The crunch channel captures plexi/JTM easily. The gain channel isn't fizzy like a TSL but darker and warmer like a JCM900. Sorry for the rambling. Anyway, what I'm looking for is a compressed, glassy clean channel. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

CHeers.

Otis,

You could try replacing V1 (first preamp tube) with a 12AU7, which will result in a tonal change from the mismatch to the 12AX7 circuit in the 6100 - or a 12AT7, or even different brands of 12AX7's and see what you get. I assume you'd rather not modify your new amp to use an ECL86...

I personally would use a good compressor in the loop; I also adjust my channel 1 loop-send level to allow lower Ch. 1 volume-control settings and thus more bright-switch action, but that's just me.

Ray

Comment

I will try the 12AU7, the 12AX7 and the 12AT7 as well as several manufacturers of the same.
      What compressor do you like? I have a Vox ToneLab SE that's got some nice compressors. Problem is it won't run in the loop; has to be between guitar and the amp. You know, just thinking about that...I bet I could plug the 6100 loop send into the Tonelab input and to the 6100 loop return with the TLSE output. I'll let you know if that works.
      Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X