potential Rectifier problem... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential Rectifier problem... help?

I bought a DC30 clone yesterday, which uses either 2 5V4 tubes, or 1 5AR4 tube for the rectifier. When I pulled the tubes to check them out I found that both installed tubes were 5AR4s. What effect would that have on the amp? Could it damage it?

I guess the corresponding question could be, what would the difference tonally be if I used 2 5V4's vs. 1 5AR4?

If the PT is made for 5vac at +4-5amps and the sockets were wired correctly, the two rectifiers are merely in parallel. All that would do is slightly create less voltage drop across the rectifiers, two 5AR4s. One 5AR4 tube, under a normal load, usually drops less then 20v so I'd guess that two in parallel would be around 8-10v drop.
    I doubt very seriously that two 5AR4s in parallel would hurt anything at all.
    Two 5V4s would probably drop more voltage, under load, but I think might be slightly stiffer compared to a single 5AR4.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Beautiful. I was told Nik wired the amp, and it looks like it, except someone had miswired a few parts (running b+ straight to one side of the PI, no plate resister, for example...), "mods" i guess... so I was worried. Bruce, I see you all over the forum, thanks for your input here, you make a big difference!

Comment

Bruce, if you're at all familiar with the schematic, any ideas on increasing headroom a bit? Maybe it's the 112 instead of 212, but it seems to break up a bit early. Would running a 1M resistor parallel to the 330k plate on the ef86 side help it at all?

Thanks!

Comment

WHy not post the schematic here, then we can all consider the changes.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here's the schematic I found, not sure how to embed. I'd have thrown it up earlier but I posted from my phone. Mine's a Ceriatone, and as far as I can tell it's true to the schematic here.

Thanks!

DC30_PowerSupply.pdf
            DC30_Preamps.pdf
            DC30_PI&PowerAmp.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X