Super reverb 4 ohm speaker load.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

What made you choose an unrealistic grid bias of -9V?

That would result in an idle current of 75mA per tube or a plate dissipation of 24W (!) or 200% at idle acc.to Nick's tool.
    The example illustrates why it’s unrealistic.
    I wanted to show a 30% difference for so choose -14V vs -10V, or whatever.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      I wanted to show a 30% difference for so choose -14V vs -10V, or whatever.
      Actually I'm not sure how to interpret the "Max Dissipation watts (sine wave, per tube) =16.13" value in Nick's tool.

If it actually means max dissipation it can't be lower than the idle dissipation (24W in the example).

Maybe it should read Max Power Dissipation instead? Dissipation at full power can be lower than idle dissipation in very hot biased amps.

Fixed bias Class AB amps often have a dissipation maximum at some medium output.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-17-2021, 03:30 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

the idle dissipation (24W in the example).
        How are you getting these idle figures from the tool? I set grid signal to 0, but still don't see any numbers like the 24W you mention, or the 200% ?

Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          How are you getting these idle figures from the tool? I set grid signal to 0, but still don't see any numbers like the 24W you mention, or the 200% ?
          You need to point to the operating point in the Ip/Vp graph. A little black window pops up showing plate current at different conditions.
          Use the value labelled "Load Line" for Ip and multiply by plate voltage.

Or just read the idle current from the loadline graph.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-16-2021, 04:46 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Maybe it should read Max Power Dissipation instead? Dissipation at full power can be lower than idle dissipation in very hot biased amps
            absolutely. Good point
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
            X