Good guitar amps to consider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good guitar amps to consider?

I play anything from alternative, punk, to metal. I need something that would sound good live, and preferably no more than $700. any ideas?
    also, any thoughts on a cheaper end Marshall? i know theres a few halfstacks out there in this price range?
    Tough job, tough day, tough world. Life is not always sweet. That's life!

Originally posted by Jessica1988 View Post
    I play anything from alternative, punk, to metal. I need something that would sound good live, and preferably no more than $700. any ideas?
    also, any thoughts on a cheaper end Marshall? i know theres a few halfstacks out there in this price range?
    Can you follow Safety Procedures dealing with High Voltage?
    Can you solder?
    Can You Use a Multimeter.
    Can you follow basic Amp Building Instructions?
    If yes to the above.
    You may consider building a Amplifier Kit!
    It will last a long long time and can be used with different size Speaker Cabs.
    For different size Gigs.
    Classic British JTM45+ Tube Guitar Amp Kit - Head
    B_T
    **Altered for Safety Clarification!
    Last edited by big_teee; 12-15-2011, 05:04 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Are you looking for a half-stack in particular or do you already have a cab? If you don't have a cab I'd be inclined to look at a 1x12 combo of some sort (yeah, yeah, I know, not very impressive looking gig-wise, but a quality speaker is a lot better than a behringer cab!). If you already have a cab, then you can basically buy anything you want. There are occasionally cheap mesa's available on fleabay assuming you live in the states, which a LOT of bands in punk/metal genres use. A lot of the marshall stuff is suitably cheap as well (DSL's, TSL's, JCM800 etc) and are used by literally every genre there is. There's also the peavey 5150/6505 if you're more into the metal side of things (though surprisingly the crunch channel can do some pretty mean blues!). Go into a music store and try everything they have. Doesn't matter if it's in your price range unless you want to buy first hand.

I personally started with a 6505+ 112 combo, ripped the speaker out and replaced it with a v30 (cost me about $1000 AUD... MUCH cheaper in the states to do this). Gigged with it for about a year. I later bought an orange ppc412 (legendary metal cabs) and chopped my 6505 combo into a head. I now use a rack set-up with a 3 channel amp I built. IMHO making an amplifier with quality parts isn't really all that much cheaper than simply buying a second hand one. It's certainly more fun though! Many modern commercial amps are also notoriously difficult to clone.

Comment

As much as I love tubes, a very good and versatile amp is the solid state Peavey Bandit. Reasonable new, and available used for less. They have been making Bandits for years, and I guess there may be a dozen versions over the years. More recent versions have been the "TransTube" that Peavey uses. They do sound nice.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          As much as I love tubes, a very good and versatile amp is the solid state Peavey Bandit. Reasonable new, and available used for less. They have been making Bandits for years, and I guess there may be a dozen versions over the years. More recent versions have been the "TransTube" that Peavey uses. They do sound nice.
          The Amp so many use in my area if you are into Rock and blues is the Fender HotRod Deville 4x10.
          Great tone with a Strat.
          For that Crunch sound Thing, I like Marshalls.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            These actually do sound pretty nice. They had them at my old high school along with $100 knock-off strats because apparently, every so often they would get stolen. Didn't really like the cleans on them, but their distortion sound was miles above anything else solid state I've heard.

Comment

fun question.

For $700 -- a Fender Silverface Pro Reverb (and any distortion pedal.)

Comment

Anything not made in China would be a good place to start.
                Save your money a bit more and buy Marshall, Fender, Bogner, Egnator..........it's worth it to spend a little more for a lifetime of reliability.
                And speaking of speakers, get better than stock ones, like EVM12L.

Comment

Please don't be fooled into thinking that any person who can solder can build a guitar amp.
                  It's simply a bad idea, especially if you want reliability and safety.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                    Please don't be fooled into thinking that any person who can solder can build a guitar amp.
                    It's simply a bad idea, especially if you want reliability and safety.
                    It's not Rocket Science Either!
                    If I can do it, so can most.
                    It takes a little research, for safety.
                    Looking at plans, reading Instruction manuals, etc.
                    It depends on the individual, and knowing your own limitations!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

If you do not own an O scope, sine wave generator, variac, soldering station, load bank, multimeter, and understand how to use them all...
                      I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Comment

If you do not own an O scope, sine wave generator, variac, soldering station, load bank, multimeter, and understand how to use them all...
                        I would be hesitant to recommend it.
                        I own at least one of those Items on your list.
                        Plus I have a Dim Bulb tester.
                        All of that, 99% of the time is not necessary to build a kit amp.
                        If you are going into the Repair business, Yes, a Kit amp, NO.
                        Sounds like your Doing the Bush National Security Scare Tactics Thing.
                        Scare everyone away from building anything so Pros like you will have more to do.
                        Anyone that is getting into building should read all the safety precautions.
                        Have some understanding of the over all concept.
                        Most People that hang out here are DIYers anyway!
                        So, that is my 2 Cents.
                        We Have a Difference in Opinion on this Subject, but that's Fine!
                        Keep Rockin!
                        Terry
                        Last edited by big_teee; 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

I build amp kits all the time.........
                          After the person who bought it gives up or,
                          the thing goes up in smoke.
                          There is high voltage in there, which can KILL you.
                          And the FACT that it CAN KILL is hardly a scare tactic, it's simple reality.
                          If you choose to ignore that reality, have fun.

Comment

I build amp kits all the time.........
                            After the person who bought it gives up or,
                            the thing goes up in smoke.
                            There is high voltage in there, which can KILL you.
                            And the FACT that it CAN KILL is hardly a scare tactic, it's simple reality.
                            If you choose to ignore that reality, have fun.
                            If the Kit Sellers only sold to Pros, they wouldn't sell many.
                            I said read all the precautions and learn how to discharge Caps.
                            You act like only a precious few should build Kit amps, and that you need a Million in test Equipment to build one.
                            I say that is bunk!
                            You can get Run over By a Car Walking to the Mail Box too!
                            But, That Doesn't keep me from going after the Bills That are in My Mail Box.
                            For Example if you buy a TubeDepot Kit.
                            http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/tweedchampkit_v11.pdf
                            So the basic Champ above, should only be built by that Pro with the Million in Test Equipment?
                            They post Their Manuals on the web so you can go over them, and make the decision, of whether you are Capable of building it.
                            I don't mean start with a Mark 2 Mesa Boogie kit.
                            You need to look through The Glasses on a Broader Scale, and Trust Humanity a Bit more.
                            Most Adults can determine if they can do something.
                            Like I said Know your limitations.
                            Anyway I'm done!
                            Good Luck,
                            B_T
                            Terry

Comment

The Marshall Class 5 is a cool sounding combo amp. I played it using a strat and a Les Paul at my local Guitar Center and I was very impressed. I liked it with the strat but it sounded killer with the LP. For $400 that's not a bad deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X