Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to test out guitar amps please help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Sam Ash on 48th St on xmas eve and somebody did that (played 'stairway' intro) remembered this post and had a good laugh.
    Last edited by paggerman; 01-05-2012, 03:48 AM. Reason: Threading messes with my head
    It's not microphonic - it's undocumented reverb.

Comment

It's even been years since this, but... I did have an ex band mate tell me I was sounding "like a bad imitation of myself". I was both flattered and insulted at the same time. Of course it means I was a valid guitar player with my own mojo. It also means I'm not anymore

Well... I'm of the "never sell your guitar and your pen" school of thought. Maybe I'm removed, but I'm not giving up. And I never will.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well, the WORST insult you can say to any woman, even if she´s 95 now, is "hey, you WERE beautiful in xxxx".

I sometimes get the: "can you still make *good* amps like you did before?" so I kind of understand the feeling.
        Oh well.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I can certainly relate to the OP, because when I was young and learning to play (70's) music stores were very different than they are today. There were no big box stores, no chains, no GC or Sam Ash. There were mom & pop local music stores. And it was not cool to go in and grab whatever guitar you wanted and plug into whatever amp you wanted and start wailing away. That was not proper etiquette. You asked to play something, and you definitely tuned the guitar first before playing something, and most of the customers were older and more experienced and a kid/beginner just didn't act so brash at that time. But things have changed and there doesn't seem to be any talent, modesty or guitar tuning expected at guitar stores any more. But I still remember what it was like back in the day, and I remember those days fondly, and wish modesty and tuning would make a bit of a comeback. Going to Guitar Center can be quite nerve wracking (wish they'd turn the damn PA music off, that would help!).

Comment

That's still the way it is up here! My favourite guitar store has signs saying "If you want to try any of the guitars, please ask." And they hide all the guitar cords.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Let me add to the chorus. When I was learning guitar, I was going to be a guitar god, live a life of music on the road, and be famous.

What I found was that I could eventually learn to hack my way through anything I practiced enough. But I had no noticeable talent for music. I was, to quote my friend Richard Southworth, a technician, not an artist.

To be a musician, you have to go find your sound. If that means you play something in a music store that the clerks don't like, so be it. Whether they admit it or not, they were once (and may still be!) less skilled than you are now. And they are there to convince you to give them your money so they can continue eating and living indoors.

So you go find the equipment that lets YOU get YOUR sound out. The only way that happens is for you to make the sound and decide if YOU like it. Music is 100% a matter of taste.

Go listen to the amps. If the store help doesn't like it, ask to see the store manager and politely explain that you need an amp, but because you're getting bad vibes from the help, you need to take your business elsewhere. Then go somewhere that will let you see if the amp fits your artistic taste. Even if that takes you some time and effort to do, it's far less time and effort than buying what someone else thinks you should have.

Notice that your taste may evolve and change over time. That's part of art. The right answer now may be the wrong answer in five years. That's OK. Life - and art - is a journey.
              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

OP = some sort of Spambot (no links so wonder if the object is to promote particular products?)

(same query comes up if googled under different user names) :

http://forums.mycreativefansite.com/...s-please-help/

How to test out guitar amps please help? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Comment

Spambot? Very likely !!

Agree with you.
                  From the beginning she looked as fake as a 3 Dollar rubber coin , but then I thought it was a 12 Y.O. BOY faking a female user to get some attention, it´s an old worn trick used by such kids in Forums everywhere, so I took it with a grain of salt and answered in good faith.
                  And since nobody else noticed anything unusual ....................
                  But now you confirm my suspicion.
                  I also noticed no "spam link" payload in the OP, but I think TBoy got burnt the last time we were infested and removes such things.
                  A lot of new Forum software does not allow links for new users until a minimum amount of posting plus minimum time have passed, maybe some of that is being used here. Hope so.

PS:just look ar "Jessica"´s picture, for God´s sake.

PS2: not to forget that "she" never came back.

PS3: look at "jessica1990" who posts everywhere the same text posts as here:

There she was charged with:
                  Quote Originally Posted by jspradling7 View Post
                  Hello Jessica, welcome to Charge Forum. Did you you just buy a Charge?
                  dude - I think you just fell victim to a spammer - who registers for a forum just to say, "Hope you went well into 2012 !" ? look at their number of posts...

ha!

will be keeping a close on this one....
                  by the Moderator.

Now to a very small psychological experiment:
                  in the Android Forum Hello everyone!
                  Our friend Jessica posted:
                  Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum.Hope you went well into 2012 !

I love you not because of who you are,but because of who I am when I am with you.
                  and got TWO very friendly answers , understandable because we guys are sort of weak before gals
                  Welcome to the community Jessica. Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to ask any questions you may have as there is always help available. Dive on in and enjoy the community. Happy New Year!
                  by one Moderator, and:
                  [welcome smilie] to the forum. Nice sig, btw.
                  by the Super Moderator.

Now, poor new use Abbott , probably encouraged by the friendlyness shown, posted:
                  Hello everyone,
                  i am new in this forum , me very happy to join this forum , so please do welcome me guys, thanks......
                  so far NO answers, he he.
                  Mind you, Jessica only posted *this* avatar:

Just IMAGINE if she had used *this* one:
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Definitely skynet in the making :tinfoilhat:

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Agree with you.
                      From the beginning she looked as fake as a 3 Dollar rubber coin , but then I thought it was a 12 Y.O. BOY faking a female user to get some attention, it´s an old worn trick used by such kids in Forums everywhere, so I took it with a grain of salt and answered in good faith.
                      And since nobody else noticed anything unusual ....................
                      But now you confirm my suspicion.
                      I also noticed no "spam link" payload in the OP, but I think TBoy got burnt the last time we were infested and removes such things.

A lot of new Forum software does not allow links for new users until a minimum amount of posting plus minimum time have passed, maybe some of that is being used here. Hope so.

PS:just look ar "Jessica"´s picture, for God´s sake.

PS2: not to forget that "she" never came back.

PS3: look at "jessica1990" who posts everywhere the same text posts as here:

There she was charged with:

by the Moderator.

Now to a very small psychological experiment:
                      in the Android Forum Hello everyone!
                      Our friend Jessica posted:

and got TWO very friendly answers , understandable because we guys are sort of weak before gals

by one Moderator, and:

by the Super Moderator.

Now, poor new use Abbott , probably encouraged by the friendlyness shown, posted:

so far NO answers, he he.
                      Mind you, Jessica only posted *this* avatar:

Just IMAGINE if she had used *this* one:
                      Did you guys see this?
                      Look familiar?
                      Carnival Cruise Lines - Live TV Onboard? - Cruise Critic Message Boards
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Well, even if she were as hot as the avatar I suggested, it would be useless, because she claims she´s going to that Love Cruiser ..... with her wife.

Well, certain type of guys *will* fall in love with her, no matter why.
                        For example PegaSus wrote:
                        Looking at your profile picture.... my wish is you

[smooth PegaSus, smooth]
                        I said .... a *certain* kind .
                        If you look at *his* picture, you´ll understand why:

Small wonder the Moderator commented:
                        Quote Originally Posted by PegaSus View Post
                        Looking at your profile picture.... my wish is you

[smooth PegaSus, smooth] endquote
                        Yeah that'll melt Jessica like butter ... then hopefully can change your avatar
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Doh! I was sucked in again!
                          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Well now that many of the responders have shown themselves to be helpful and friendly, perhaps some genuine ladies will be encouraged to participate! (Wishful thinking, probably.) lol

Comment

Well, irrespective of whether Jessica was a real person or not, the quality of responses made it a worthwhile thread.

My guess is she was some kind of troll who would try to get friendly with you by PM and extract your money. Totally unlike the guys over in the Pickup Makers forum.
                              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Well, in that case maybe I´ll share with you the Private Email of this beautiful Nigerian Lady, who´s suffering unfair prison because she refused the evil Nigerian Emperor love.
                                I already sent her U$10000 to pay for the Lawyer who will get her out of prison and deported to my Country, where she´ll live forever under my supervision.
                                I'd blush if I told you the lots of naughty little things she promised to do out of gratitude when she comes here.
                                Oh my God, the pictures she sent me !!!!
                                In case you are interested, she has about a dozen other beautiful imprisoned friends in the same situation.
                                PS: the same Lawyer represents them all.
                                Don´t know why his account is a secret one in a Cayman Islands Bank, but I guess it´s there to keep it safe from the Evil Emperor´s thugs.
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X