No announcement yet.

Do I need to Re-Bias the "same" tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now how do you know they are not the same electrons come round again?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      I'd say no. To a good approximation, tinkering with the bias doesn't affect the power output at all.
      In general that's true. But...

The more time a tube spends in cutoff, the more power it can make while conducting without melting down. A cooler bias will take a little more swing before clipping and a longer cutoff time will allow the tube to handle short periods of more output in between. There is a trade off of course. And that would be likelyhood of excessive crossover distortion when clipping.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That's correct. But to access that extra power we have to redesign the amp by increasing the B+ or changing the load impedance or screen voltage.

I assumed we're just twiddling the bias pot and not messing with the rest of the amp.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X