Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why buy and build amp kid which is very expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Sorry:
    I just quoted what you said.
    I understand that you don't want to drag a relic around, I wouldn't either.
    Read your own Post again, It Probably didn't come out right.
    We can't guess what Your thinking, just what you say!
    I'm not Picking on you!
    BTW, Welcome to the Forum!
    B_T
    No worries. I certainly wouldn't promote anything I made to relic status!
    And I love an old marshall clean, soundies just alsways tell me to turn down, which has led me to tweedland.

Thanks for the welcome! : )
    I will be relying on your collective wisdom for builds to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
      I have been thinking about getting a Fender vintage amp as a platform. Then I look at the kids from Mojo, Circa? etc. They are not cheap!!!! Why spend so much money to build an amp that I don't think the resale value can compare to the true vintage amp later when you want to sell it.

So the question, is a good amp kid better sounding than the vintage amp it emulates? From one member Twin here, he said it sound better and it sure looked pretty.

I would.... Those amp kits give you all the parts you need..... Sourcing parts yourself can be a real pain....so, building up an amp from a kit is probably a lot cheaper, in the long run... You want to tool up to do a full scratch build yourself ? Do the math, and let these guys do all the hard work for you.......

-g

Comment

You can actually save some money doing a scratch build!
        But, Is it worth all the Aggravation?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

if your looking to build an amp because you really want a hard to find or expensive vintage amp and think it'll be cheaper to build one...

you should probably just buy the vintage amp you want.

Comment

You can always find an old Bogen or similar for little or nothing and rewire it to your taste. That is about the cheapest way.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I build P2P tube guitar amps from scratch all the time ,and it’s great FUN , if you enjoy electronics, which is why I assume we’re all here anyway... Sourcing your own parts allows you to choose the parts You want ... All in how you choose to amuse yourself ...

Comment

Or.... You can get an Egnator or Jet City amp for under $300 no tax and free shipping and go straight to the gig.

Comment

Buy as opposed to build

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  Or.... You can get an Egnator or Jet City amp for under $300 no tax and free shipping and go straight to the gig.
                  Hello,
                  Don't forget CRATE, in the same price range. Maybe a little more dependable to!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've never owned a Fender combo so I built a Deluxe Reverb using Weber's chassis and sourced parts myself. I didn't like the Weber chassis but it sounded so good I later built a VibroVerb using Marsh Amps' chassis which is true to the original. For the VV I used the old blue molded cap pulls from a couple of Bassmans that I have. The output tranny used was a Heyboer 100 watt Twin with multiple output taps. I simply relabeled the 4 and 8 ohm taps to 8 and 16 since I was only using two 6L6s.

Since I do woodworking I also made the cabinet and covered it. Since I had most of the parts, it oly cost about $400. I don't have gut shots but it looks just like a BF Fender. The cleans are to die for!

Click image for larger version

Name:	VibroVerb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	833430 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0102-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	833431
                    ..Joe L

Comment

Working...