Fender Princeton 112 plus adding more grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Princeton 112 plus adding more grounds

Where on this amp would "you" put added ground potential wiring??? <<< in the case that the clean treble & reverb pots, when turned up, add a bit of hum/hissing. EDIT: BTW I fixed all the bad solder joints that were present and that had no effect at all to get rid of hum/hiss from the treble & Volume pots.

http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf

Oh and these designs are silly where they put linear 50k for the volume pot. It's like having a whole body of sound w/ no head. Can't even turn up to 1 without the rat bastard sounding like it's on 8 or 10!
    Last edited by DrGonz78; 03-12-2012, 08:07 AM.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

The main reason here for asking a "hack" type question is probably for ya'll to dig in on me and tell all the reasons why not to do this... However, this amp came to me w/ a ground strap from the input jack ground lug going straight to the earth ground nut on the chassis. It definitely helps reduce the hum and a lil of the hiss when the treble is turned up. I have seen a cheapo Epiphone ep-1000 that had a designed type earth ground (factory design) on the input jack to the chassis. That amp actually sound pretty good for what it was and no hum at all.

The princeton amp says on the schematic Normal Volume 50kohm30c. I believe this be an audio anti-log taper or linear type by the intensity of gain at low settings on the normal vol. knob. I am looking to change the pot to a A50k log audio type as to make sure it responds properly and can be set to 4 or 5 with some actual changes in decibels.

As far as trying scope the amp, I am not set up yet w/ that capability. I am looking to buy a signal generator and oscilloscope. That is my next step to really being able to fully troubleshoot an amp properly. My question here would be what advice can you give someone like me to buy affordable equipment that is not totally cheap. I am looking online as scopes and they are way too expensive for my first endeavor. What should I look for here that would the best choice for a starter scope/signal generator. I am gonna build a dummy load too and have started to research that one as well. Thanks for your time.

P.S. My first post later said "treble and volume pots" at one point in my writing. I meant to repeat it was mainly the treble and reverb pots.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
    X